Macbook Pro, advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MorphyXXXX, Dec 19, 2009.

1. MorphyXXXX macrumors newbie

Hey,

Ive read all the "when to get a new mbp threads" but i still need some advice.

I was thinking of getting a 17" MBP 2.8ghz notebook next week. Ive never owned a mac before my mom has a mac air which im writing on right now, and i like the OS and design of the computers so thats why i would like to have one.

My main reason for getting this computer is because i want to have my gaming PC computer at home since im living at a boarding school (and use the MBP 17" to have at my school/travelcomputer).

Performance isnt really the big thing im looking for, i just want to be able to watch HD movies (which i sadly cant on this mac **** air) without lag, use adobe photoshop CS4 without lagging and edit movies and record music/edit.

So, how big will the performance boost of the new arrandale processor be if you compare to the current 17" MBPs. Now that you know a bit of what im gonna use the MBP for, should i still wait or just buy one next week?

The buyers guide says "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle".

I know that there are many threads but i would like some comments!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe I'll be bucking the trend but since I'm posting first, I'll give you my $.02

If you want a gaming rig, or a laptop that will be for serious gaming, then I suggest you don't get a MacBook Pro. Sure the 17" MBP would be good, but you'll have to buy windows, and get the drivers and such. The bottom line is that you'll be spending more money, when you can a laptop that's better suited for gaming for less.

3. MorphyXXXX thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh crap, i think you misunderstood what i ment.

I dont play games that much anymore, thats why i want to leave my PC at home and just get a notebook for music recording/editing, photoshop and browsing / watching movies.

4. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Almost any of the current MBP will be better than the MacBook Air because the MacBook Air is Apple's slowest laptop. The real issue is whether you want to wait for the next generation or get the current generation. I have a 15" MBP 2.8 GHz and it's plenty fast but it's up to you if you want to wait.

5. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

The ones they have out right now would be plenty fast for the things you want to do with it. If you are doing big fat video encodes etc then the MBP 17 would be fine for you.

6. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

The current generation MBPs will handle everything you've listed. The previous generation MBP's and the last of the non-Unibodies would too. It really comes down to you and your desire to get a computer now or wait a few months. You'll be satisfied with whatever you decide.

7. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

If you don't need a new laptop right now wait to see what the upgrade will bring to the table.

8. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I recommend a 15" for you. Get it with a 3.06ghz processor, and 4gb of ram, along with a 500GB hard drive. I think that would suit your needs just fine. Also, the higherend 15" has the 9600 M GT with 512mb of memory, so it is the same card as the 17". of course you can always wait, but if you need it now, i Suggest that you do this.

9. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

James, what you mentioned is an excellent machine. I wouldn't mind it at all. :D

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd wait, although that machine will do what you want it to just fine. If there isn't a reason to get it in the next month then, patience is a virtue and in the case will be well rewarded. While the machine that JamesGorman recommended is a great machine, the updates I have a feeling will bring a machine that is not only more powerful, but cheaper then the BTO.

11. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

I completely agree with what you said, goldenmackid.

12. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

I would wait not for the processor but the gpu should also be updated soon. I would expect an update in mid jan.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oops, sorry. I think my eyes are faster then my brain sometimes. I think the 17" is going to be a great performer, but the arrandale processor will probably give a bigger boost in performance.

14. MorphyXXXX thread starter macrumors newbie

thats what im wondering, if the performance boost will make me think "oh **** why didnt i just wait 1 month for the arrandale" or is it just like barely noticeable? I dont care about power consumption or stuff like that, just if the performance gain more than like 20% then i might actually wait with buying a MBP

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I think its going to be more then a month, then you have to consider the odds that apple only announce the new model and not have it ready for shipping.

I have no idea when apple will announce the new laptop, but it always seems later then people expect (or want).

If you have a need now, I'd say go and buy it, but if you can wait a month, then wait but one month may turn into two or three

16. MorphyXXXX thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah exactly what i was thinking, well thanks everyone for your replies, i will most likely be buying my MBP 17" next week,

Merry Xmas everyone!

17. mac pirate macrumors newbie

I just went through this process a week ago. i now have a 17" MBP and overall, its a great machine. I have been experiencing a nagging "popping" sound only on restarts. It's fairly loud and repeatable to a degree.

To address it, I've reset the PRAM and the SMC. I ran software update and I checked for firmware updates. I even went so far as to perform a clean install of the OS that came with it. I was running Snow Leopard. I also played around with the sound in systems prefs to no avail. Apple tech support was not helpful at all.

I am trying to determine if I should simply return the unit. I've hear that this is somewhat common, but looking for validation of that. I've already been through three failed 27" iMacs (with the dreaded video issues) in 3 weeks. I went to this platform thinking it would be more stable. The last think I want to do is have techs rip the machine open when it's only a week old.

Thoughts?

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I suddenly started incurring popping/staticy sounds on restarting. The only change - I updated the firmware. Given that this problem just popped up on my year old MBP, I think its everything to do with the latest firmware update. To that end, I'd not get too worked up about it. Especially if you don't reboot your computer too much ;)

19. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I'd wait, and if you don't like the new models then the prev gen models will be cheaper = win/win for you...

20. coast1ja macrumors 6502

I'm just curious, but I'm assuming the MacBook Air you are on is the first gen 1.6 with the 80gb HDD correct? I had the 1.8 first gen and it played HD video just fine. I now have the 1.86ghz Rev. B with SSD and it has no problems at all!

I would go with a base model 15" or 17" for your needs. You don't need the superfast CPU. You'll be quite happy with it and save yourself some money too!

21. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

My own 2 cents:

2 weeks ago I was looking for a larger screen laptop. (I got the 17" MBP but the story has to be told)

The Asus G72 has a C2D at 2.53GHz but with nvidia 260M video (think rebranded 9600M)

The HP Pavillion dv7-3085 has an i7 720gm (1.6GHz, turbos to 2.8GHz) and with a 230M video (think rebranded 9400M)

Reviewers were complaining that the dv7-3085 overheated to death. In one case, as little as 15 days. :eek:

The Asus scored higher on some benchmarks.

The HP has 4 cores (virtual 8 with HT), but with the lower GHz speed it'll still heat up.

Most people get the 17" MBP for the screen resolution (1920x1200). Both Asus and Hp use a paltry 1600x900. Even the 18" piece of junk I saw was 1720x945 or something just as daft.

And they all use Windows. I could write a book about the unprofessional-worthy problems of Windows...

The new CPUs will be faster. That's a given; the benchmarks are easily in i7's favor. (haven't read up on the i5).

C2D is on its way out in general, though most notebook makers still use the chip.

But can Apple keep the same thin thickness? For a mobile i7? When HP's own 1.2" thick monstrosity dies on people due to overheating? Apple is good, but even the aluminum case will get hot if one does too much for it for too long. Notebooks are not designed for constant number crunching like 3D rendering.

Is a 2.8GHz C2D a slouch? No way. With DDR3 RAM, it outperforms the Asus. Only if you're doing so much you need all 4 cores to be used and more, in which case a laptop is a poor choice to begin with. Desktops don't use notebook-quality components, which run slower to begin with - to keep battery life longer and heat down.

Not to mention, most apps are single-threaded. Even Photoshop, with some multithreaded filters, is mostly single-thread. 4 core systems are best for constant number crunching or doing a real time virus scan in the background. And, again, that's where no notebook can begin to properly compete with a desktop.

And who knows; the next 17" MBP might be 1920x1080. Puke. The extra 120 vertical pixels suit my needs (web site development, Flash, Photoshop) far better. Leave 1920x1080 for playing movies, which is what the masses want (and gives corporations excuses to offshore jobs, too). Apple's Macintosh computers are computers, not toys. :D

22. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

While stores still have them, which is usually one per store...

And consider the refurbished ones directly from Apple. Even after Applecare (the one where they don't include accidental oopsies or normal wear and tear), it's marginally less than a new one.

It's a gamble. Usually a good one, but a gamble nonetheless.

23. mac pirate macrumors newbie

Thermodynamic, have you experienced the "popping" phenomenon when you restart? I am trying to see if this issue is isolated to just me or if it's alerger issue. If it's just me, I'm inclined to take it back for a replacement.

24. mac pirate macrumors newbie

Maflynn, do yo hear a single "pop" just before the chime kicks in on a restart? Mine is fairly loud. If this is a known system wide issue and it does not affect the operation of the device, I think I can live with it. I wish I could understand this issue better.

25. Spandexman macrumors regular

You hear a single pop when you restart? And you're going to return the computer? Seriously? I think you have too much time on your hands.