MacBook, PRO, Air EFI Firware 1.3 Released

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by anish3232, Dec 10, 2008.

1. anish3232 macrumors member

This update improves the stability of MacBook computers and addresses issues with sleep-wake, USB and device compatibility.

After the firmware is successfully applied to your Mac, your Boot ROM Version will be:
    MB51.0073.B06

2. anish3232 thread starter macrumors member

3. anish3232 thread starter macrumors member

Macbook seems to be a lot quicker. Did not change the idol fan speed still at 1996RPM. However never had any problems of heat from the new Macbook.

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

It seems a little quicker for me as well, but I just thought it was because of the restart and cleared RAM... Did you run the SMC update as well?
    I can't wait to see if this helps with Sleep battery consumption etc....

Apple as not released much info ab these updates, so it'll be interesting to see exactly what and how they affect out systems..

5. Mako5 macrumors regular

Mako5

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

A link to what? To the updates?
    This update applies only to LATE 2008 MB/MBA/MBP and all you have to do is go to your Software Update from the menu.

7. joe01 macrumors member

joe01

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Yes. Go try your System Update feature. They will come up one at a time, and after you install the first one, and go through all the steps, go to System update again, and do the second one... Read the instructions so when the fans go CRAZY in the second one, you don't get scared that soemthing's wrong ;)

9. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Did you notice the sleep light flashing at 270mph also?? I read the directions and still got worried!

10. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Yeah, that was really awesome tho!! :eek: It looked good :D

11. ti2ibal1 macrumors member

I saw it. After I got your text I was all nerved up about doing it. The light started blinking all nuts and then the speaker blew like a horn. LOL!

12. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Was my machine the only one that did a super loud beep when you had to reboot for the EFI firmware to update? That thing nearly made me jump out of my seat since I wasn't expecting it and usually have my volume set on low :)

13. ti2ibal1 macrumors member

Scared the hell out of me and my dog! :D

14. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

HAHAHA! i just laughed my ass off! i told you it was crazy!!!

15. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

ya i was like FUUUUUCK...o ok its supposed to do that...WTF?

16. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

yea i called my buddy (ti2ibal1) to warn him! haha i seriously thought i fried my macbook at first.. i didnt know what happened but i thought it was bad!:eek::eek::eek:

17. fuzzycuffs macrumors member

fuzzycuffs

This has nothing to do with the ram crashes, does it?

Since I heard that a lot of people were crashing during wake.

18. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

That crazy loud speaker horn on the firmware boot sequence MUST be some Apple developers idea of a sadistic joke. What's the over/under on Steve Jobs doing it just to scare us for some cheap thrills :)

19. anish3232 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone know if this fixes the ram problems?? I wanted to upgrade to 4GB.

20. Jisuo macrumors 6502

I got the new firmware update so I closed down all applications and pressed the provided shutdown button.

BUT there was apparently a "Choose a folder" dialog box from Dropbox app open and not visible until now! wtf?

And now my macbook won't shut down, it just sits there with the Choose window greyed out and the rotating "loading" animation below.

What should I do? Is it safe to turn it off with the button even though it said DO NOT SHUT DOWN? I thought I read it would start installing after you press the power button again.

Help. :(

21. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

did it actually start the update yet? did you see the grey screen with the progress bar?

22. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

It nearly freaked my soul out when I heard that sound...It was quite high pitch and I thought my MB went nuts..but after doing some research on that..It was suppose to do that...thank god........:O

23. Jisuo macrumors 6502

No it hasn't shut down yet at all.

What I wonder if the update has some kind of "special" shutdown or if it's just a normal shutdown? If it's a normal I could just hold down the power button until it turns of. Then turn it back on so the update starts with grey screen etc.

But I'm not sure if it has already started updating or preparing so if I press the power to shut it down everything will be a mess....

24. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I hear ya! I didnt know what the hell was going on at first!
    Steve Jobs is laughing his ass off at all of us right now! haha! :D

25. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

For me..I did the update yesterday..A window pops up after I download it from the software update and it requires your MB to shut down *so I click on the "shut down"* in that pop up page. Then I hold down the power button and it updates my computer..w/ the grey screen and a progress bar that updates the MB...Hope that helps! :)