Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andboom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
London
I have various MBPs and a MBA 11", all of which operate using their included official Apple power supplies, which will fit each other as they have the same Magsafe connector but are of different voltages and currents. They seem to work whichever one is used for whichever machine, though I have noticed that some seem to run very hot when used on machines they were not designed for. For example, the main body of the PSU of a MBP 13", when used on my MBA 11" is almost too hot to touch after a full charge. Am I causing any damage to the PSUs / various machines / their batteries by using the wrong power supply or is the technology intelligent enough to deal with this by stepping up/down automatically? I have only briefly tried them to see if they actually work and don't want to damage anything! Thanks for any help!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
It is very simple. The are 45, 65 and 85 watts (max energy they can provide) adapters. The 85 will work for anything but NOT THE OTHER WAY. In a pinch, oh well, but u have to watch the temp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.