MacBook Pro + Airport Extreme + 36 iMacs + Printer + Bootcamp....Help :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmbrown09, Jul 14, 2010.

1. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

So, I posted in this part of the forums because I always do, and there is a macbook pro somewhere in this story I guess.

Anyways here is the deal.

1. I don't know much about networking.
    2. I set up a Airport extreme for our 36 station 27" iMac lab, and that works great for both Bootcamp and OSx.
    3. We bought a printer
    4. I plugged the printer USB into the airport extreme
    5. I set the airport extreme up with my MacBook Pro, so the printer was "seeable" to me, and no one else on the router, so I enabled printer sharing, and now the mac side of all these can see the printer and use it.
    6. Windows side... can't, why? How can I fix this?

I am not the lead Tech bro here, but the main guy sits in his office and eats sunflower seeds and makes / lets me do everything. I am perfectly fine with it honestly, getting to learn this, boost my resume before I start at university next month... Anyways.

Advise, or what do I need to do?
    Pic of the lab

Timg'd and taken with my 24 hour old iPhone 4 :)
    Screens are over exposed apparently, there is actually a program running on them.
    [​IMG]

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

What operating system are you running on the Windows computer?
    If it's vista or Win 7, go to the start button, then on the left side click on network, or devices (sorry I can't remember which one)
    Once you do that, the printer should be listed and you need to install driver software for the printer, usually by right clicking. If you have Win 7 it should do it semi-automatically.

I use printer sharing on my home network with 7 Macs (MacBook, MAcBook Pro, PowerBook G4, iBook G4, iMac G5, iMac 24" Intel, PowerMac G5) and 2 Windows PC's. (Both running Windows Vista)
    Although I do have the printer visisble to everyone on the network in the AE settings, I thought it made it easier. (Although I do have an Laser printer I share through printer sharing on my MBP and it works just as fine)

3. vbman213 macrumors 6502

You need to install Bonjour for Windows

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl999

"Print from anywhere.
    With wireless printing through AirPort Extreme, it’s almost like having a printer in every room of the home or office. AirPort Extreme uses the Mac- and PC-compatible Bonjour networking technology to let everyone on the network take advantage of one centrally available printer. Wirelessly, of course.*"

@mgartner: Bonjour is so easy to configure! Bonjour uses a generic postscript driver that all Windows machines come loaded with. The Bonjour print server (i.e. the Airport Extreme) translates the generic postscript data to the "printer specific" code/driver on the fly. So you don't even need to load the printers driver disk if you are sharing with Bonjour.

4. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Well that leads into another issue we have. These are all temporarily running XP, we purchased Windows 7, but only the upgrade disk. That's fine and all, except for Windows 7 has a driver issue so that the screen goes black when you install it. Apple has a workaround, but you need to go from the bootcamp installer, something we can't do with the upgrade disk. We run the setup in XP, and then it restarts from the disk, can't do that with Bootcamp, upgrade disk isn't recognized.

I went to the control panel and was looking through, it detected no printers. Bonjour? I will give that a shot thanks.