MacBook Pro Airport problems fixed only w/ a full restart.(already searched)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reubs, Oct 23, 2010.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

In the past few days I've had problems with my Airport dropping out completely and having to restart my system altogether.

Previously the problem was only restarting Airport itself, but now it's not just a reset or a logout, but a full and total restart. My wife's MB connects just fine, and my phone detects the wifi as well. It's just mine that's having problems.

I don't know if it started when I DLed Facetime or when I updated Little Snitch or when I updated Java this week w/ that update.

I thought it only happened when waking from sleep, but it happened just now while actually using Safari.

Anyone else having similar problems?

2. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

I should add that it just did this again, and when going into another account the problem was still there.

This is a mid-09 MBP running 10.6.4.

3. trendkiller macrumors member

Yup, I'm having the same issue.

Mine keeps dropping randomly and only way to re-connect is to restart, I've tried everything from resetting router/deleting keychains/deleting plists/deleting networks/creating new locations/reseting smc

You name it I've tried it.....

I'm taking mine to an apple resellers to send it away for repair tomorrow, Through researching my problem I've found hundreds if not thousands of people having the same problem. It surprises me that apple haven't addressed the issue

Hope you get t sorted.

4. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

What kind of router are you using? I haven't noticed the problem at work, but I'll keep an eye on it this week.

5. trendkiller macrumors member

Mine does it regardless of the router, however I'm using a netgear (can't remember model number). I've tested mine on a variety of routers all resulting in the same issue.

I called Apple today, I mentioned everything then mentioned that it sometimes doesn't recognise the airport card at all, he immediately said it's a hardware issue/failure take it to get repaired. The airport card is welded (apparently) to the main board and may have become loose, which sounds accurate as previous my macbook fans were working in overdrive.

To be honest I'd guessed this myself after trying everything I've read, either way I took it to get repaired today.

It'll hopefully be working and back to my within 3 weeks....

6. trendkiller macrumors member

Sorry to drag an old topic up but since this discussion I've had the machine away for two more repairs. The problem seems to be hardware based in that the airport card is coming lose somehow and somewhere.

On the third repair the screen (which has never been an issue) came back with a dead pixel so I contacted Apple to complain in general about having a machine for only 8 months having to send it away three times, not having the machine for 2 of those months, not having a courier turn up when they said they would AND then a dead pixel (which was an inch left of centre), So they offered me a replacement unit, which due to some cock up with contacting me hasn't appeared in 8 weeks, Now they've upgraded my machine to a 15'mbp, for the inconvenience, which is due to arrive sometime soon.

If anyone has a problem described in this thread take the machine back for a repair. As I said I've been told it's something to do with the airport card which sits in the hinge area on the mbp. It's not software or at least in my case it wasn't.

TK

7. sydenham macrumors regular

Help me get this straight. You have had two repairs in the last 3 months, and they promised you a new computer two months ago? But they haven't been able to contact you?

8. trendkiller macrumors member

No, sorry probably didn't explain myself very well.

From August to November 2010 it went it for repair 3 times, on return from the third repair I noticed another problem that it never had before.
    Apple arranged for a courier to collect it which never appeared, that was early December, After I phoned up to complain that he never appeared and had wasted a day off work they said they'd replace it.
    The Rep I was dealing with then went on holiday for a few weeks before having a chance to replace it and no other rep was able to help, when he returned he tried calling but constantly missed me, anyways long story short he went on holiday again and no other rep could help. He managed to get in contact and replaced my mbp....

My point was that if anyone has the wifi dropping issue they should take it back to get it checked, as it appears to be a hardware issue and not software, as first thought.

9. sydenham macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, I had no idea that so many people were having problems with their wifi. Was it a 2010 model?