Macbook Pro Alternative

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dabills80, Jul 20, 2008.

1. dabills80 macrumors member

My friend was set on getting a macbook pro for college but because he's majoring in business it is preferred to get a pc. What is a good alternative?

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

^^^^^ What he said......

Or anything with equal specs, but without the plethora of good stuff.

3. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Voodoo envi or dell studios are nice and comparable.

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I would agree, but if he has his heart set on getting a pc than I'd suggest a sony vaio

5. muldul macrumors 6502

I know dells are supposed to be crap, but i think the dell studio would be a good replacement.

6. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

7. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

People who say Dells are crap have never owned them or don't know much about PCs. I personally have owned... seven Dells.

Dimension 8400
    Inspiron 1100
    Optiplex GX270 Tower
    Optiplex GX270 Desktop
    Latitude D600
    Latitude D820
    Latitude D830

I still use two of them on a regular basis as backup computers and they totally have the best warrantys out there. They really don't overload their machines with crap and run very well, just make sure that you opt for the reinstall CDs. I would probably get a latitude not an ispiron/vostro/studio however the studio laptops do look nice.

Sony laptops have a ton of proprietary junk that you need for all the features to work, the only thing any of the dells have is Dell Quickset and all that does is give you some advanced power options (turn off NIC when on battery etc) and give you an OSD of volume and screen brightness. OOtB all it has for junkware is google desktop etc, and when you use it the first time you need to agree to the license and if you decline it automatically uninstalled. Also Dell Completecare covers everything, drops, spills, running over it with a car. all covered, far superior warranty to applecare.

If you aren't going apple, go Dell.

8. Jak3 macrumors regular

Yes, if you don't go Apple, go Dell...unless you want to overclock...in which case you shouldn't be buying pre-made computeres anyway! :D

And if you want to show off, go for the Voodoo :cool:

9. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

so what's wrong with the MBP and bootcamp running XP?

10. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

SONY Vaio are probably the most stylish PC Laptops out there. Obviously it is open to personal taste.