MacBook Pro Alternatives after the update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gnom3, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Gnom3 macrumors newbie

I was patiently waiting for the MBP update like the rest of you. Now that the details have been released, is anyone still considering a viable alternative?

The only reason I am really considering a MBP is to have Windows 7 and Mac OS in a single package for the ability to develop iPhone application. Unfortunately, the prospect of spending $1k more than a similarly spec'd laptop from Dell or elsewhere is still preventing me from clicking the order button.

What other systems are you considering?

My #1 alternative right now would be the Dell Vostro 3700.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/vostro-3700/pd.aspx?refid=vostro-3700&s=bsd&cs=04&~oid=us~en~4~vostro-3700

Hopefully I can be convinced to bite the bullet and pickup my 17" MBP on the way home today.

2. joina macrumors member

3. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen that one before. I'd been consider Alienware (too big), yet the m11x is nice and light. I'm typically plugged into a 1080p monitor anyway.

The cost difference between this model and the 17" MBP is mind blogging considering that high Vostro has the same GPU (more VRAM) yet a Quad Core i7 and a standard 7200RPM drive. Edit: Ugh that display is terrible on the Vostro though... 13XX by 768? Ouch.

Dual booting is a huge thing though and I'd rather not have yet another laptop/PC on/under my desk. I have enough as it is. I just want a SWEEEEET MacBook Pro refresh for my aging C2D MBP.

4. archdelux macrumors 6502

I'm having a similar dilemma (also want to use Windows). I really want a compact 13" notebook, though.

An alternative that I am considering, which might work for you is the 15" Hp Envy...with a coupon you can get a really great deal on an i5 or quad-core i7 with top of the line graphics/etc....I just really want a 13-incher though.. supposedly the HP Envy 14 is coming out sometime, but I can't rely on that.

Any thoughts for 13" laptops? Or if I should get the MBP (i outlined what I would use it for here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=896058)

P.S. I looked into Sony Z briefly, but it's CRAZY expensive (1900+)..i can't justify a price tag like that..

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you plan on running windows 7, then buy a dell/sony/hp/what ever

If you plan on using OSX buy a mac, which can also run windows via bootcamp or vmware.

You're right, you'll be paying more for similar hardware on an apple then anyone else. That's called the apple tax and I can totally understand somone not wanting to pay that. I'm not going to try to convince you where/how to spend your own money.

Personally I think the mac/osx has a lot to offer, but as you mentioned if you are planning running windows for the most part, you're over paying.

6. Gnom3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. That's my biggest issue right there. 90+% of my time will be in Windows. It's just trying to decide if the extra $$$ is worth it now on the off chance that I do more iPhone development in the future and regret not springing for the MBP. Could always buy a Mac Mini or something if/when that happens, but having it all in a single package is desirable.

I appreciate all the great feedback so far. Anyone looking at something else?

7. tandeh macrumors regular

Hp8740w looks like the dogs danglies IPS Display + top the range ATI ATI FirePro M7820 :eek:, that or the upcoming Envy 17".

any other IPS powerhouses slightly cheaper

8. firsttimemac macrumors newbie

Asus u30J(c/t)
    The only rel alternative that i'm considering

9. vasuba macrumors member

I am finding myself slightly disappointed as well especially with the price versus power under the hood comparisons for the new MBP. I can save easily $600 bucks going with an Asus which has an industry leading reliability factor behind it.

$1600 gets
    Quad core i7
    8GB of ram
    1TB HDD
    17.3" screen
    1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 graphics
    built in webcam with facial recognition security feature etc

With the ability to jury rig OSX onto it it is a mighty tempting proposition

10. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Thinkpad T510 and W510 as well as a few tablet convertibles like the X210T and whatever model it is of the HP Elitebook Tablet.

Its standard on the tablets and a $250 option on the T510 and, I think, $450 on the W510 because it is also touch-capable.

11. tandeh macrumors regular

Video review, i am well tempted

12. tandeh macrumors regular

the Asus seems to even smoke the Imac 27",

would love if a version came out with USB 3 and an IPS screen, :eek:

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Why should we convince you, buy the machine you want.

14. tandeh macrumors regular

i think u need to read the thread title again, this is where we discuss alternatives to the Mbp, be it pricewise, stylewise, bang for buckwise.

..........................back on topic, how easy is it to port snow leopard on a machine like the above?

15. CP123 macrumors regular

Do a search. There are plenty of threads on alternatives to the MBPs. However, why do y'all come on a MAC forum, with MAC users, and ask them for alternatives. Wouldn't it make more sense to go to a PC forum with more people who have these alternative PCs? They can probably give you the best advice.

16. Gnom3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you honestly think of a group of people who have spent more time looking at MacBook Pro alternatives right now than the people considering buying one? Asking here makes perfect sense to me.

17. tandeh macrumors regular

no it does not, i have been stcuk to this thread for around 6mnths and i am big time dissapointed, as well as others, and at least expect others like myself to research other options (comparable to MBPs) and then share them here.

please stop policing this thread, if you do not like the title please find another more positive thread, bcus at the moment i am well let down by Jobs and Co.;)

18. CP123 macrumors regular

That makes no sense. You're not happy with the updates. You want to look for alternatives to MBPs, so you come to MacRumors. What do you really expect to get here? How many of these threads do we need here. Why don't you do your own research and be happy with that.

Better yet, after doing your research, why don't you go somewhere where others with the alternatives you like (from doing your own research) can actually opine from experience. That way they can tell you their hands on experience.

19. CP123 macrumors regular

Yeah I can. People who will never buy a MBP. My son, who is an IT professional will never buy a Mac (so he says). He researches windows-based PCs, and like many here can tell you the specs, etc. However, unlike others here, he is not so obsessed with Apple, where he has to compare the PC he likes to Apple. To him, one has nothing to do with the other.

Now if you are saying Apple has set the bar, and the MBP is the standard bearer, I would advise to just buy the MBP. Why waste your time comparing what you want to something you don't intend to buy?

20. GeorgeCWB macrumors member

Your a minority in this thread. So unless you want to contribute to the topic, then shut your ******. Your talking horse badonka donks. Yeah, I called you a horse.

21. CP123 macrumors regular

Oooh. I guess you told me, didn't you. I'll be your whatever. One always speaks badly when one has nothing to say. I guess you have nothing to say.

If you don't like the MBPs, then why are you comparing your next laptop to one? Why do you need a MBP alternative? Just get the best windows-based pc.

22. moosez3 macrumors member

no backlit keyboard, 6 hours less battery, build isnt as good, touchpad isnt as good, screen isnt as good (res and quality) But the processor is better...
    Im sorry it isnt enough to convince me...

23. billgates99 macrumors regular

I purchased a custom Envy 15 with the following specs about 1 month ago:

i7-820QM
    16GB DDR3 RAM 1333mHz
    320GB SSD Raid0
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD5830
    USB 3.0 ports

It is the most lightning fast experience I have ever had working with large files in Photoshop and Illustrator (using CS4 64-bit versions). I can instantly Alt+Tab back and forth between various windows open with memory intensive tasks, such as huge poster files in Photoshop, DVD Studio Pro encoding, 3D games in fullHD 1080p resolution with high fps, such as Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc., with no lag whatsoever. I honestly have no idea to what extent this is a result of the SSD, the RAM, the processor or the graphics card.

USB 3.0 is a pretty significant advantage for the Envy 15. I'm able to transfer 4-5GB DVD files within a ridiculously short period of time back and forth to drives sitting in my USB 3.0 external dock.

It does have several drawbacks, namely:
    - runs extremely hot - i use Zalman nc1000 laptop cooler and that seems to do the trick
    - low battery life - with the optional 9-cell slice battery it lasts about 4-5 hours, which is much longer than my previous laptop; however, not great. i think for any int'l flight I would need to take an extra slice battery. With the slice battery in, it is extremely heavy, but the slice battery is well designed so that it retains a relatively sleek shape.
    - the multi-touch trackpad is kind of a joke, not as sensitive as the MBP trackpad, i often have to jiggle my fingers a bit in order to do gestures/2-finger scrolling
    - horrible placement of special function keys on the keyboard - i often wind up hitting some moronic key to open a print menu or email application when i'm in the middle of working in photoshop or playing a game
    - low 4k read speed - it is about 10x slower than it should be, even slower than the 4k write speed - many others have found the same problem with the Envy's - however, as I mentioned, it is so fast I cannot notice any difference. I'm not sure in what practical situation I would be using the 4k read speed, but the fact that it is lower than it should be concerns me.
    CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008
    --------------------------------
    Sequential Read : 469.045 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 155.626 MB/s
    Random Read 512KB : 253.068 MB/s
    Random Write 512KB : 133.743 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB : 10.294 MB/s
    Random Write 4KB : 55.438 MB/s
    Test Size : 100 MB Date : 2010/03/10 1:54:01

I need to run Final Cut Pro for work and I've been trying to decide whether to
    (1) buy used MacPro desktop;
    (2) buy used MBP;
    (3) sell my Envy and buy new MBP; or
    (4) install hackintosh'd OSX on my Envy

Any suggestions?

I noticed the new MBPs are using the i7-620QM, Nvidia Geforce 330M , no USB 3.0, no eSATA and cost around $1k more than comparable Envy 15 models.

I'm very interested to see some reviews from anyone who purchased a new MBP.

24. vasuba macrumors member

MBP are using the i7-620M not the i7-620QM. All are dual core not Quad.

25. tandeh macrumors regular

This thread exists, get over it, not everyone bought into steve job's '13" MBP has killer graphics' Bull LOL.

whether this thread is logical or not, or is negative to apple, is not the point, people are allowed to express their feelings if they are not happy, i was so looking forward to MBP, but apple's arrogance burst my bubble. and now i see more clearly.

anyways Please stop trying to police the thread. Moral of my reply?????? leave this thread if u don't like it, and if you stay stop trying to argue with us. i'm here to share similar pain with other dissapointed people, let us be dissapointed in peace and if we are looking for alternatives, let us decide and research in peace.
    Thank you.