Macbook pro aluminium corrosion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Applefanboy8153, May 20, 2013.

1. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

H there I have MacBook pro retina display 13.3 and I just noticed that there seems to be a sort of a corrosion on the palmrest, do you think that Apple will replace the Mac, there is also a dead pixel which I am not able to capture with my phone right now, I will post a picture later! Thanks in advance.

20130521_090412.jpg

2. negativzero macrumors 6502

If it is just a single spot I don't think they will do it too readily but you can try. Yours isn't the worst case though.

[​IMG]

3. Applefanboy8153 thread starter macrumors regular

Is that your mac??? Does this happen to every mac???

4. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

Not sure, but I recommend you clean your palm rest periodically.

5. Applefanboy8153 thread starter macrumors regular

I dont know what to use to clean the palm rest, heard that water will damage the mac so i restrained from cleaning it with any liquids, i just use a microfiber cloth i got with my glasses.

6. negativzero macrumors 6502

Nope, not my Mac, and it doesn't happen to all Macs. It really depends on if you have sweaty hands and whats in your sweat.

7. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

To avoid this, I clean the palm rest almost daily with eye-glasses cleaner on a micro-fiber cloth. It keeps the macbook looking like new ever after very intensive use. This eye-glasses cleaner never damaged the surface in anyway so I consider it safe to use.

My first magic mouse also had this corrosion at the sides, now I clean it daily too with eye-glasses cleaner and it doesn't happen anymore.

8. Applefanboy8153 thread starter macrumors regular

So I can just use my eye glass cleaner to clean the body???

9. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

This used to happen with the pre unibody pros as the palm rest was electroplated with aluminum and would come of with time. I have yet to see a unibody pro looking like that.