Macbook pro aluminium corrosion

Applefanboy8153

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
H there I have MacBook pro retina display 13.3 and I just noticed that there seems to be a sort of a corrosion on the palmrest, do you think that Apple will replace the Mac, there is also a dead pixel which I am not able to capture with my phone right now, I will post a picture later! Thanks in advance.

20130521_090412.jpg

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
H there I have MacBook pro retina display 13.3 and I just noticed that there seems to be a sort of a corrosion on the palmrest, do you think that Apple will replace the Mac, there is also a dead pixel which I am not able to capture with my phone right now, I will post a picture later! Thanks in advance.

View attachment 413217
If it is just a single spot I don't think they will do it too readily but you can try. Yours isn't the worst case though.

Applefanboy8153

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
I dont know what to use to clean the palm rest, heard that water will damage the mac so i restrained from cleaning it with any liquids, i just use a microfiber cloth i got with my glasses.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
To avoid this, I clean the palm rest almost daily with eye-glasses cleaner on a micro-fiber cloth. It keeps the macbook looking like new ever after very intensive use. This eye-glasses cleaner never damaged the surface in anyway so I consider it safe to use.

My first magic mouse also had this corrosion at the sides, now I clean it daily too with eye-glasses cleaner and it doesn't happen anymore.

Applefanboy8153

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
To avoid this, I clean the palm rest almost daily with eye-glasses cleaner on a micro-fiber cloth. It keeps the macbook looking like new ever after very intensive use. This eye-glasses cleaner never damaged the surface in anyway so I consider it safe to use.

My first magic mouse also had this corrosion at the sides, now I clean it daily too with eye-glasses cleaner and it doesn't happen anymore.
So I can just use my eye glass cleaner to clean the body???

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
If it is just a single spot I don't think they will do it too readily but you can try. Yours isn't the worst case though.

This used to happen with the pre unibody pros as the palm rest was electroplated with aluminum and would come of with time. I have yet to see a unibody pro looking like that.