Macbook pro aluminum Oxidation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reojie, Mar 20, 2011.

1. reojie macrumors newbie

Hi.. i've heard that rapid air exposure could oxidize an anodized aluminum...If that's so is it advisable to use a cooling pad fan under your macbook pro aluminum? will it oxidize the bottom part of your mbp?

2. alph45 macrumors member

have you ever heard of other macs oxidizing? i haven't.

3. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

The whole point of anodizing aluminum is that it is more resistant to corrosion and wear so I wouldn't be worried if I were you. Also, as alph45, I have yet to hear of anyone having this problem.

4. borisiii macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I lol'd... What is 'rapid air exposure'?

Seriously though the surface of your MBP has undergone a number of surface treatments which mean you need never worry about oxidation or corrosion. Besides, with aluminium, unlike iron for example, surface oxidation is a desirable property which serves to protect the pure aluminium. And if you are worrying about heat damaging your laptop, don't bother; aluminium melts at 650C, and you wouldn't see any change in appearance below that. Trust me, I'm a materials science student.

5. 19abby macrumors newbie

simply enjoy your mac and not worry about such frivolous stuff.

6. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

That's not entirely true. There are several threads on this site where people with (what I assume is overly acidic) perspiration that has caused pitting on their unibody macs in a matter of months.

*Most* people will never need worry about it, but the aluminum the MBP is made of is not indestructible, and there are cases out there where the magical surface failed under normal use.

Like you and everyone else above, though, I find it laughable that "rapid air exposure" would somehow damage the unibody.

Besides, as the bottom cover is easily replaceable, it'd be the last place I'd worry about getting damaged, via "oxidation" or otherwise. ;)