Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Apple has a partnership with AMD to use their GPU's on the Mac's. It's not a far stretch to think AMD would give Apple engineering samples of their CPU's. How many years now has Intel fallen short on their deadlines?

I hope Apple starts to use AMD's CPU's. The desktop's are killing Intel, and it seems like the mobile variants aren't that far away.

Reactions: DanMan619

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Apple has a partnership with AMD to use their GPU's on the Mac's. It's not a far stretch to think AMD would give Apple engineering samples of their CPU's. How many years now has Intel fallen short on their deadlines?

I hope Apple starts to use AMD's CPU's. The desktop's are killing Intel, and it seems like the mobile variants aren't that far away.
It is a less hard transition than from PowerPC to Intel chips.

But I suspect AMD does not have the technical or financial resources to cater to the stringent requirements of Apple.

Apple Procurement are known to be dicks.

clangers23

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2016
I'd love one of AMD CPU's in a 14" MBP. Isn't the problem for Apple the lack of Thunderbolt support for AMD? That would be a pretty big sacrifice for Apple to make given they're all in with Thunderbolt.

I've read somewhere that AMD will adopt Thunderbolt 3/4 as it's going to be an open standard? I've seen a Ryzen X570 motherboard with native Thunderbolt support.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
I'd love one of AMD CPU's in a 14" MBP. Isn't the problem for Apple the lack of Thunderbolt support for AMD? That would be a pretty big sacrifice for Apple to make given they're all in with Thunderbolt.

I've read somewhere that AMD will adopt Thunderbolt 3/4 as it's going to be an open standard? I've seen a Ryzen X570 motherboard with native Thunderbolt support.
There are AMD MoBos that have Thunderbolt 3.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
10nm has been a disaster for Intel. But the Sunny Cove cores are the biggest redesign in years and Intel is quickly following up with another redesign with Willow Cove cores on Tiger Lake this same year. Tiger Lake will also feature a new GPU architecture, Xe.

These are big changes. It's probably true Intel will have to backport these changes to 14nm to get them working at 35W+, but that doesn't detract from the innovation in architecture.
That is if they actually ship the next redesign on time. I have my doubts, lol. Also the specs for Xe weren't looking that impressive so far, but hopefully the good stuff hasn't leaked yet. Would be great to have more competition in the GPU market, or at a minimum to have integrated graphics that are several times more powerful.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
That is if they actually ship the next redesign on time. I have my doubts, lol. Also the specs for Xe weren't looking that impressive so far, but hopefully the good stuff hasn't leaked yet. Would be great to have more competition in the GPU market, or at a minimum to have integrated graphics that are several times more powerful.
Xe has three designs. First design has GTX 1050 performance, and is slated as a MX250 replacement.
Second design has 2x the performance of the smallest design. And third, the largest has 4x the performance of smallest one.

So at best we are looking at equvalents to GTX 1060 and GTX 1070 Ti, in performance.

high heaven

Suspended
Dec 7, 2017
Reactions: tCC_

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
if Apple were smart they would, Hackintosh users can already do Vanilla builds with them, the performance per dollar equation is unparalleled at this point with no indicators of change.

then again if Apple allways did what was best for users then I wouldn't be stuck with my main machines on High Sierra to maintain NVIDIA/CUDA support so... yeah who knows

high heaven

Suspended
Dec 7, 2017
I think ARM is more likely. But who knows.

ARM requires a whole new optimization which isn't compatible with macOS and it's not powerful enough to compete with Intel H series and AMD H series.
[automerge]1581049827[/automerge]
if Apple were smart they would, Hackintosh users can already do Vanilla builds with them, the performance per dollar equation is unparalleled at this point with no indicators of change.

then again if Apple allways did what was best for users then I wouldn't be stuck with my main machines on High Sierra to maintain NVIDIA/CUDA support so... yeah who knows

Ryzen Hackintosh is very unstable and not compatible with many software like Adobe CC. Because macOS never had AMD CPU to be optimized. But we'll see.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
ARM requires a whole new optimization which isn't compatible with macOS and it's not powerful enough to compete with Intel H series and AMD H series.
[automerge]1581049827[/automerge]

I worked at AMD and designed Opteron and Athlon 64 (and K6+ and etc. etc.).

ARM is certainly powerful enough to compete.

And ARM is compatible with MacOS. MacOS has run on ARM for many years inside apple, and the core of MacOS is the basis for iOS and iPadOS.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
Ryzen Hackintosh is very unstable and not compatible with many software like Adobe CC. Because macOS never had AMD CPU to be optimized. But we'll see.
Ryzen Hackintosh's are perfectly stable if correctly configured, the only issue i have with my current threadripper machine has been hotplugging on thunderbolt but i knew that going in.

your somewhat right with very few pieces of software like Adobe CC but those are plugin issues, remove the Camera RAW and the other offenders and the software itself runs fine, and let's be real for most users the majority of features can work stabley.
considering that's when Apple provides no support and thus Adobe and others havent even thought of Ryzen.
its a non-issue because if apple chose to support it you know the next version of xcode would account for their existence, if you need those plugins going in then make informed decisions when hackintoshing.

either know until its fixed or supported you may need to bootcamp or VM to use those few plugins, if thats beyond what you want to deal with then hackintosh Intel.
the majority of hackintoshers are somewhat computer savvy and already do research when doing a build so they will know of current limitations and be able to make an informed decision based on there needs/use-case .

high heaven

Suspended
Dec 7, 2017
Ryzen Hackintosh's are perfectly stable if correctly configured, the only issue i have with my current threadripper machine has been hotplugging on thunderbolt but i knew that going in.

your somewhat right with very few pieces of software like Adobe CC but those are plugin issues, remove the Camera RAW and the other offenders and the software itself runs fine, and let's be real for most users the majority of features can work stabley.
considering that's when Apple provides no support and thus Adobe and others havent even thought of Ryzen.
its a non-issue because if apple chose to support it you know the next version of xcode would account for their existence, if you need those plugins going in then make informed decisions when hackintoshing.

either know until its fixed or supported you may need to bootcamp or VM to use those few plugins, if thats beyond what you want to deal with then hackintosh Intel.
the majority of hackintoshers are somewhat computer savvy and already do research when doing a build so they will know of current limitations and be able to make an informed decision based on there needs/use-case .

It is a well-known issue that several pro software including Adobe CC does not work with Ryzen well. Check the reddit.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
It might make sense for 13” model, not much point for the 16” model. Also, if new intel CPUs with AVX-512 and new GPU are out anytime soon, Ryzen might lose its distinctive advantage. But those CPUs are surely impressive and I’m happy that AMD can deliver pressure this round.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It is a well-known issue that several pro software including Adobe CC does not work with Ryzen well. Check the reddit.

You can also bet that if Apple made a Ryzen based machine the experience would be seamless. Thoughts of a $3500 Ryzen Threadripper tower have me very excited.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I hope so.

I haven't build an AMD machine since the Athlon 64 days, but last summer I chose AMD (3900x) for my new server.

I have a feeling it's caught intel by surprise, and could you imagine what a thread ripper in an iMac Pro or MP would be like?!

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
Hi all, this morning I just saw this news on my phone and I wanted to share it.

According to this spanish website specialized in computer hardware the new Mac OS beta 10.15.4 beta 1 give us a hint about Renoir and Van Gogh architectures.
Renoir is the new APU Ryzen 4000 and Van Gogh it is supposed to work with the new navi graphics.

https://elchapuzasinformatico.com/2...pus-amd-ryzen-macos-beta-nos-da-el-chivatazo/

I don't know whether this will be completely accurate but it give us hope for those who prefer AMD to Intel.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm not sure if this is reliable or not, but it will be telling shortly. A number of us expect ARM Macs, but if Macs were to move to AMD that would say a whole lot about the state of Mac A chips.

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
I'm not sure if this is reliable or not, but it will be telling shortly. A number of us expect ARM Macs, but if Macs were to move to AMD that would say a whole lot about the state of Mac A chips.
I also thought the same but with all the hype that AMD is taking at the moment this move would be a great move from Apple.

I am from Spain and this website has a good reputation but the article links a twitter post from someone who digged in the latest beta code so I am not completely sure either.

awesomedeluxe

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
If Apple is considering switching to AMD, they will not do so without considerable assurances from AMD that their roadmap is aggressive and timely. I don't doubt that a Navi APU is already in Apple's possession.

Expect also that Van Gogh will move directly to RDNA2 and skip RDNA entirely, in line with current speculation... an APU with RDNA2 has been long in the works for Sony and MS, so there is not a lot of upside in trying to bring RDNA and its issues to a mobile APU.

How soon such an APU could be ready is a bigger question, but Van Gogh releasing in 2020 doesn't conflict with any of AMD's roadmaps. It may also be necessary to remain competitive with Intel, which could find their footing with Tiger Lake later this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.