Macbook Pro and 24" Cinema Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gr81mgbgt, Dec 23, 2008.

1. gr81mgbgt macrumors regular

Saw this today at the apple store, and it is just an awesome combination, very cool setup, can use both screens at same time, drag bath and forth, and meanwhile, the notebook can sleep, and you can use the Cinema Display as the desktop.

Anyone have this combination?

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

Planning to pick up two of them, one for work and one for home office as soon as they appear on the refurb store.

I like the setup, I like not having to bring my power adapter with me to work, and I like having identical setups at work and at home office.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

FYI, the notebook is not asleep. The LCD screen is merely turned off (that might be what you meant) and the external display is made primary.

There are hundreds and hundreds of users who did this with the old school powerbooks and first gen macbook pros. The entire line of second gen aluminum displays look very nice against the Macbook Pro, but Apple went all out with the new cinema display, providing magsafe power to the computer, but the omission of firewire is a dealbreaker for me, as Apple could have easily put in a firewire 800 hub for the Macbook Pros (the Macbook and Air don't have firewire).

Its a great combination, but i'll take Firewire and Matte over glass and built in magsafe , speakers and isight.

4. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

Is this better than just getting an 24" iMac?

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If you don't need mobility then the iMac is a much better buy. Although it doesn't have an LED screen like the new CD the iMac has a very crisp and bright S-IPS screen plus beefier specs than a MBP for a lot less.

6. akm3 macrumors 68020

No, but I have two separate work locations and being able to move my identical 'office' from place to place is a killer feature for me. One computer, two identical work spaces. Don't have to worry about syncing and stuff because it's all just 'my' computer.

7. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I have this set-up, and it's fantastic.

I used to do the multi-computer situation, but the syncing just became too much hassle.

This really is the best of both worlds. I strongly recommend this set-up.

8. akm3 macrumors 68020

It just gets hideously expensive, quickly.

2x 24" ACD $1,800
    2x Aluminum keyboard $100
    2x Good mouse $40
    1x Macbook Pro $2,000

But that's OK, I've already been told I have 'more money than sense' for wanting an Apple Cinema Display, so two is even better! It could easily be two iMacs, or an iMac and a Mac Pro, but making sure I have the right file at the right time at the right computer? No way. I like having one hard drive, and an assload of backups.

9. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

Its more expensive than a 24" iMac, but still not sure if i want this setup or the iMac

10. MacAlpha macrumors regular

I have this set up and it is great. I have never had multiple screens before and I have found it really useful. The benefit of it is that I can just unplug the MBP and I have my primary computer with me at all times.

If you have the cash, I would recommend it.

11. pnyc macrumors 6502

I got this setup and so far it's been great. It's a good combo if you don't mind the price and super-reflective screens.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I already recommended the iMac to you earlier but if you are still on the fence I would greatly recommend that you consider the iMac so you will have the best of both worlds, small footprint and lots of power. Many people downplay the iMac like it's just a toy but it's extremely powerful. It has always had better specs out of the box over the MBP and cost considerably less.
    Plus the iMac has both Firewire 400 and 800 as standard. ;)

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Great combo. I can keep my adapter in my bag and just unplug and "undock" when I go.

14. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

Both are in my price range, but now its whether or not to go with which one, both have their strengths, so its tough!!

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Wait are you comparing a MacBook Pro with a 24" Cinema or a MacBook with a 24", to a 24" iMac?

I mean the MB combo is comparable to price to the iMac whereas the MBP combo is a whole grand more...

16. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

Macbook Pro 15" And 24" led display or the 24" iMac

Thats where i am stuck.

17. pnyc macrumors 6502

If you need/want mobility then go with the MBP+24LED if that's not important to you get the 24" iMac.

18. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

19. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I have this set up also. I use it with both the new MBP and MB. Most of the time I use it with in clamshell mode. Very nice not having to drag out my power cord.:) I LOVE IT!!

20. macdaddyny macrumors newbie

Nice Setup

Hi,

I also have this setup, for my business, i am an apple authorized reseller, and this is what i use.

It is the perfect setup because the machine is well equipped to handle working as a desktop, and when i go home at night, i get to take it home with me.

I am using the the 30" HD Cinema display with the Macbook Pro 2.53ghz, its awesome.

Gil

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Now what computer do you have right now?

Where'd you get the bloody adapter!

22. macdaddyny macrumors newbie

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod