Macbook Pro and 24" Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gr81mgbgt, Jan 16, 2009.

1. gr81mgbgt macrumors regular

2. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

That's a very nice setup! One I wish I could afford :(

3. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

if you like glossy displays yes it is, though not everyone needs that high priced of a monitor, it all depends on what you want to use it for. Personally I don't like them because their connectivity is pretty limited, you need all those adapters just to connect things other than your computer.

4. B.A. macrumors regular

5. MonoSeed macrumors newbie

I have a macbook, run with a 24" Dell. Though it's not an apple monitor, I absolutely love the screen real estate. Can't wait until the 30" comes down in price!

6. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

7. zevot macrumors member

i think there r pictures in the macbook pro forum if u could do a search for yourself please :D

and btw that will reli look cool

8. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

It's great like a docking station, that 24" LED ACD. All three cables that connect from the display to MBP are attached to the Display. So you can leave your MBPs charger in your laptop bag for when you use away from desk. Plus you can leave up to three USB devices plugged into the display expansion ports. Excellent setup!

I am planning to buy a new MBA and 24" ACD on next MBA revision. All of the MB line and ACDs are great. The new Nvidia graphics really changes them into instant "desktops."

Congrats on your new purchase!

9. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

There are already a few threads about this, do a quick search and you will find pics.

My MBP and 24 inch ACD were delivered yesterday both are amazing, at least so far!

10. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

Can you connect speakers to the 24" cinema display? Or are the speakers on it loud enough for movies and music?

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I promise if you quickly glance (not even read) over the tech specs all your questions will be answered :

A) You cannot plug speakers into the monitor (unless they have usb speakers which you can plug into the hub). You'll plug the USB cord of the monitor into your macbook and it will play audio through the monitor. If you plug in a device into the audio out on your macbook it will take precedence over the monitor's speakers.

B) From my experience the speakers sound a bit tinny, but i'm a bit of a bass head (i like my audio with depth) and have had a set of Logitech Z-5500's for the past 4 years.

Here is a great site to go for more info :
    http://www.apple.com/displays/

12. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Have MBP with Dell 24 inch and it is a great setup. Desktop and portable in one..

13. urkel macrumors 68030

If you have to ask then you may be overbuying. What exactly do you do that you need a professional level computer and monitor?

That setup costs at a minimum $2900 (and that's before doing the highly recommended memory and HDD upgrade). Unless you have a surplus of cash, or have a pro-needs then you could save a fortune by getting the equally impressive (for consumers) Macbook + 24" Dell monitor for under $1700.

14. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

That question is a joke right... Seriously, the "Pro" doesn't mean only for professionals of some caliber YOU should decide. The Pro model is the ONLY 15.4" and 17" offerings by Apple in a notebook. So, if you WANT a 15.4" or 17" notebook, you have to buy a PRO! The Pro is a premium that adds value and justifies price for some users... a marketing bit performed excellently by Apple's branding/naming of the MBP.

Seriously, most "Pros" by any standard you want, could use a new MB or MBA for most needs attached to a 24" ACD. So, why is it some people want to talk people out of the nicer machine? Maybe the buyer is NOT a "Pro" but maybe the buyer just wants a 15.4" or 17" machine. Maybe the buyer WANTS to play games??? Maybe the buyer WANTS to run an app that requires it even though he/she is just a novice. Maybe the buyer requires FireWire.

You don't have to be a "Pro" to buy a MBP. That title is a joke more than ever. The MB, MBA, and MBP line of computers are all excellent notebooks/Macs. I would love to have all of the "Pro" features, but I require the portability of a 13.3" display, therefore I am forced to buy a MB or MBA.

Forget the "Pro" bit everyone. It means nothing to MOST people. If someone prefers to buy a MBP, they don't have to be a "Pro." I see this all of the time here on MacRumors. People tell OPs NOT to buy a MBP because they are not a "Pro." Don't you get there is no licensing requirement? Don't you get that the product offerings require some non-"Pros" to buy the MBP??? Don't you get that some people just WANT the better model? Who are you to tell them not to? It's different when someone says, "ok, here is what I need, which model will perform all that I NEED for the lowest price." - then go ahead and tell them the right model for them... but don't tell someone not to buy a Pro just because they don't fit the title by your standards.

I think everyone needs to get past the "pro" insignia/brand of Apple when it comes to the MBP. It is truly irrelevant. I would guess that 90% of MBP owners could use the MB just fine. I doubt, very seriously, that anyone says, "I need to buy a MBP and not a MB because I am a Pro." Nor, does anyone say, "I am not a Pro, therefore, even though I want a 15 or 17" display, and even though I want FireWire, and even though I want to use it for gaming, and or an app that requires a dedicated graphics card, or an anti-glare display, I cannot buy the MBP."

I think this is a wonderful combination, OP. I congratulate you on your decision whatever it is. All of these Macs are wonderful machines!

15. Mr Rogerss macrumors member

Yea I cant stand 13 inch laptops, the pro was my only option. That's why I have it...

16. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Neither the MBP or the 24" are "pro". Glossy rules that out.

It is a very sexy screen to go along with any new Apple laptop.

I run one with an Air currently and very happy. You can get a much cheaper alternative with a dell or other monitor, but if image is important and integration with isight etc, yeah its awesome.

FYI, the speakers are kinda crappy so you might want to invest in some desktop ones.

17. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

You can't connect speakers to the display, but you can connect them to the MBP. The speakers in the display are decent but not great.

18. Stebus macrumors member

So you can't connect USB speakers through the monitor? That's what i was hoping to do to avoid another cable to constantly unplug. :(

19. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

usb speakers will work the 24" cinema correct?

20. urkel macrumors 68030

Wow. Five paragraphs of repeating the exact same obvious point and you still miss out on the one thing that elevates the MBP+24" Cinema combo beyond the reach of the average consumer. PRICE.

If someone is spending in the $3000 range for a computer then they should probably have a specific purpose for it. And considering this is a "Buyers Advice" forum then what exactly is wrong with asking? Finding more information about the customers needs makes more sense than your used car salesman approach of trying to cram a family of 3 into a two-seater. Maybe the $2900 MBP+24" combo is perfect for him, but why dismiss the idea that a $1700 MB+24"Dell may work just as good DEPENDING on what he is planning to do?

21. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

No, anyone WANTING to spend $3000 doesn't HAVE to have a specific purpose. Get out of the dark ages. We can buy whatever we WANT. Great thing about our lives is we can all work hard and buy a $3000 laptop if we WANT. Your mindset is really messed up. Why do you care so much if someone wants to spend their own money on a nice computer? You don't know that the OP cannot afford it. We ALL pay a premium when we buy Apple products. Some people want to buy an Apple display just because they WANT it.

Lastly, the OP asked if it is a good setup. Answer the question. It's a great setup! It's not right for anyone to judge anything about the OP's finances or life when they didn't ask for it.

22. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I like that your insults were edited and removed by a moderator. Go MacRumors! Thanks for understanding it was an attack on me, and it was wrong!

23. Mr Rogerss macrumors member

I like how you have totally taken away the entire point this thread. Way to go you!

It is a great set up. Its hard for people to understand cinema displays because of thier price.

24. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Awesome set up! :) If you have the money go for the 256GB SSD hard drive. That would be how I'd configure it. Plus it also boosts speed and performance.