Macbook Pro AND 24" LED Display updates

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdebeer, Apr 7, 2009.

1. jdebeer macrumors newbie

I want to buy a new laptop with 2 displays, so I can port easily from home to office. My ideal "suite" is a unibody, 15" MacBook Pro with a 24" LED display for home, and another display for the office.

I can imagine the simple bliss my commuting life will become. Dreamy.

But I'm tempted to wait to buy the laptop until later in the summer because (a) my current MacBook Pro works well, (b) I want the back to school promo, and (c) I think I'd like the longer-life battery that currently comes with the 17" MBP.

So my first question is:
    1. When will the 15" MBP with the new battery come out?

Assuming I'll wait for the laptop, I'd like to buy the displays now, so I can start using them with my current MBP. But it seems that's not currently possible, based on what Apple says about compatibility.

So my second question is:
    2. When is Apple going to make the 24" LED backwards compatible with current MBP? Presumably that will require a DVI to MDP adapter. Does such a thing already exist, and if not, when might one be released?

Am I best to just wait until June or July (or if not then, when?) to buy my whole package?

2. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

Is it confirmed the 15" will have the same battery as the 17", I think that's just a guess. Backwards compatible I doubt anyone can do much but speculate.

So options: Buy ACDs that aren't the new ones. They'll be cheaper and less reflective, unless you like that...

Just wait. That's a lot of cash spent. I'd sit tight till the next updated UMBP if thats what you are set on getting. Get in on the B2S promo and get your displays. Worst case scenario the displays aren't update till way later to be backwards compatible. Best case they are and you can buy them sooner.

3. lmps56 macrumors member

1. If your current MBP works well and you're happy with it, then wait for the back to school promo. I'm not sure there has even been a rumor about Apple implementing a non-removable battery in their 15" models, though it would be a plausible one. So if that's all you are waiting for...well...don't.

2. Apple chose mini-display port as their new video standard so don't expect any backwards compatibility for DVI in the LED display.

Don't worry about updated displays till the summer. They're pretty new technology and won't be considered "obsolete" within the next two maybe three years when OLED takes over. So if you're a student wait for B2S promo.

Hope that helped.:)

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If your current MBP works well, couldn't you get really any lcd monitor and use them until they no longer work well? If the current system dies in the applecare period, you could get a new machine and THEN get the new ACD. If it stubbornly holds on to life for a few years, you could save your money in the meanwhile and buy the new MBP octo or whatever new chip intel will produce.

When I went Mac in 2003, one of the things that attracted me to the platform was people contentedly using 2-4 year old machines to make a living. It was a refreshing change from windows machines, where any machine older than 2 years was deemed unusable. One of my old school friends finally went intel after his g5 imac's logic board fried 10 days out of applecare warranty.

5. jdebeer thread starter macrumors newbie

Good advice all.

Yes, I did just assume the 15" UMBP would get a revamped battery soon. I can't imagine why it wouldn't, unless the battery in the 17" is a flop -- like, heaven forbid, it explodes or something ;) If there is a longer-lasting battery, that would be a real advantage to me. Anyone know of links to more discussion on this particular topic?

I hadn't thought about the older ACDs. That's not a bad idea. Except for the fact that the iSight and speakers are very appealing. So is the fact I can charge without setting up my adapter every time. I guess for less than the cost of a 24" LED I could add speakers and buy another power adapter, but I'd still be stuck without an iSight, so would have to workaround by using the MBP with the lid open, and mirror or extend the display. Not ideal, but feasible, I suppose. Are there any other big differences (besides price) between the new and old ACD?

In any event, I will eventually upgrade to a new laptop, and when I do, my wife will inherit my current one (and my sister or someone else will inherit the PB G4 that I used before the MBP).

I'd like to think that there will be a way to plug in this current MacBook Pro to the 24" LED ACD eventually. Wouldn't that be possible with a DVI to MDP adapter or something? Or are the incompatibilities with the video card or something? Or are the ports on the MBP physically misaligned with the ACD cables? Does anyone know of links to another thread on this specific topic?

Thanks.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Apple won't put the new battery in the 15" any time soon...because they want you to buy the 17" for a grand more. They won't make the new displays compatible with older portables, because-wait for it-they want you to buy new systems. Maybe when they make a major revision of the 15" models they could include it on the top end or bto options.

7. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I wouldn't wait for the battery, but I would definitely wait for the back-to-school promo. I'd also, personally, consider other options for the monitors. Apple's monitors have some nice perks, but the price difference is far too steep (for me) to warrant buying them over the Dell 2408WFP...the price difference (once you find a cheap place to buy the Dell) is staggering, especially for two!