Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ceasetoexist

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
seen that thanks. my colors get back to normal after just quickly activating and deactivating screensaver.
it doesn't happen all the time though. rarely.

i wonder if this is one of the symptoms that users with faulty 8600s had in the beginning.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
First unit MBP, Santa Rosa/Merom 2.2GHz, manufactured in February (just before the launch of Penryn refresh models), showed signs of graphical corruption after 3 months of use. Got worse at the 5th month, did a logic board exchange.

Still on the first unit, but with logic board exchange, graphic chip showed similar corruption of the previous logic board (that had been used for approx. 5 month) just after 8 hours of use. Requested for a replacement unit.

Replacement unit arrived, Santa Rosa/Merom 2.4GHz, manufactured in June, showed a different kind of graphical issue after 6 hours of use. Further usage throughout the week exposed more severe graphical corruption and system freezes.

Never really gamed a lot on these machines, most of the time are just usual iTunes, Front Row, QuickTime, and internet browsing.. with the occasional NFS:proStreet and GRID.

So what happened w/ your latest replacement??? You left us w/ a bit of a cliff hanger there.

I just bought mine last week & it should arrive tomorrow.

Man, this nVidia thing sure is good for the AppleCare business!

gr8bob

macrumors regular
May 16, 2008
So what happened w/ your latest replacement??? You left us w/ a bit of a cliff hanger there.

I just bought mine last week & it should arrive tomorrow.

Man, this nVidia thing sure is good for the AppleCare business!

Currently having my uni studies at the moment so I can't actually loose downtime with getting my Mac away being serviced.

I'd suppose it's gonna be more logic board exchange and replacements to come till I get a working one.

Something I've just discovered today.. another to the list of faults..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDv-TQx4MV0

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Currently having my uni studies at the moment so I can't actually loose downtime with getting my Mac away being serviced.

I'd suppose it's gonna be more logic board exchange and replacements to come till I get a working one.

Something I've just discovered today.. another to the list of faults..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDv-TQx4MV0

My GPU stays around 124F - 137F when I am working.
I do not see any artifacts like your describing in the video.
Bought March 2008, Penryn 2.5.
I use Fan Control to raise the speed of my fans. 2200RPM base speed, 3200RPM currently at the above temps.

SoLost

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
My MBP 15in display (internal and external) died a few days ago... just as my warranty expired.

So I brought it to the service center in Hong Kong (Apple outsourced it to a local company for all repairs). I waited for a day, and they just emailed me the quotation.

It costs HK$11,000 (USD1414) to get the new Logic board replaced!

Is this what you guys are paying for the logic board?! US$1414 seems excessive! I may as well get a new one! It costs nearly as much as a refurbished MBP!

if theinquirer.net is correct, it sounds like most, if not ALL Nividia chips since June 2007 WILL die... you may want to buy AppleCare to avoid such ridiculous pricing...

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I thought it would be a good idea for everyone who owns a MBP with the 8600 GT graphics card to post their experience with their computer.

Namely:

When was the machine bought?
Have you had any graphics related problems with the machine?
How intensive if your graphic card use? Do you play a lot of games?

I am especially interested in users who have had their machine over a year.

I bought my MBP 7 weeks ago, and I have had no problems. I don't really play intensive games on my machine.

I have a MBP 2.2 it's over a year old, brought it in June 2007. Since upgraded to 4GB ram.
Had it stripped a few times for upgrading, change keyboards and change of thermal paste.
Recently had the left fan replaced... LOL... Other than that, I've never had any problems with it,
doesn't even crash!!

Thought the temps do reach 100°C regularly. I use it for d.t.p, photo editing and motion graphics
- i don't have time for games, the bar is more interesting when i'm not working.

BTW, I leave it on constantly, never put it to sleep and I don't even sleep the display..
and it's still working just fine!! All those rumour is just BS man..

Besides, i have AppleCare for the next two years and laptop insurance.

isauce

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
I have a MBP 2.2 it's over a year old, brought it in June 2007. Since upgraded to 4GB ram.
Had it stripped a few times for upgrading, change keyboards and change of thermal paste.
Recently had the left fan replaced... LOL... Other than that, I've never had any problems with it,
doesn't even crash!!

Thought the temps do reach 100°C regularly. I use it for d.t.p, photo editing and motion graphics
- i don't have time for games, the bar is more interesting when i'm not working.

BTW, I leave it on constantly, never put it to sleep and I don't even sleep the display..
and it's still working just fine!! All those rumour is just BS man..

Besides, i have AppleCare for the next two years and laptop insurance.

Did you have your fan change through Applecare? Do they even notice that you replace your thermal paste? I did the same, and of course everything is fine but I want to know that they won't void it because I did. Technically speaking I did, however how would a Genius know unless the logic board is bad, right?

ajhaji

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
I just started experiencing issues with my MBP yesterday. When I boot the computer, I get no video at all. The computer boots successfully, though, and I can access it over the network. But I just don't get any video on the internal or an external display.

I have been able to boot successfully, WITH video, twice since the problem started. I don't really know what I did to get it to work--I kept restarting, removing/inserting the battery, and so on. I've now come to the conclusion that if I restart my MBP, the video will die again. So, I guess I can't turn it off!

I don't play games extensively, but I have played some. I'd say this computer has had maybe 200-300 hours of solid FPS gameplay in its lifetime.

I have a June 2007, 2.4 GHz, 15" MBP.

Lunitik007

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
I have mine sine March '08, no problems, everything is perfect...
2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM, 8600m GT 128MB and it's refurbished
Play lot of games in boot camp, watching tons of movies on external HD TV...
CPU around 55 C
GPU around 65 C
I hope it will stay that way :)

bmwpowere36m3

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
When was the machine bought? ~Nov '07 (2.2Ghz SR, 2GB RAM, 128MB VC)
Have you had any graphics related problems with the machine? No
How intensive if your graphic card use? Do you play a lot of games? Not really, web, movies, some video editing...

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Bought my MBP 2.2 ghz, 2g ram, 128 video in April 08. It was a refurb. (mid-2007 model)

Never had any video problems as of yet. No gaming, lots of video (ripped dvds watching, basic web, mail, music, photography editing, web design work, etc. I run smcFanControl with several cooling settings depending on what I'm doing. Typical cpu temps run 108F - 120F - if it heads higher I bump the fan speed until it drops back down.

so far, so good. We'll have to wait awhile to see how it holds up.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Purchased: June 2007 (right when SR MBPs came out)
No GPU issues.
I spend 4 hours/week gaming, including COD4, Far Cry, Flight Simulator, CS. All games are in Windows (BootCamp).

I think doing a poll would give you a better idea.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
When was the machine bought? End of June '08
How intensive if your graphic card use? Do you play a lot of games? Regularly Play games in XP

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Today I opened my MBP from sleep to notice the colours all screwy and everything distorted. I snapped some pictures from my iPhone (please see below). The colours on the screen were different when I first opened the lid, and they changed like those in the picture after about 10 seconds.

I shut the lid again, waited for the computer to enter sleep and opened the lid, and everything was okay. Is this the beginning of graphics problems for me?

Most likely, yes

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
Bought my MBP June 2007. During the warranty period I had the LCD replaced four times because of extensive dead pixels and light leakage issues. My current display has just recently developed two bright spots (not stuck pixels) on the center left side of the screen.:mad:

Like many others, the gpu died almost immediately after my warranty was up. Despite this Apple replaced the logic board at no extra charge. I was experiencing artifacts and sleep/wake issues.

Just recently I noticed severe artifacts on my Windows Vista Bootcamp Partition playing GTAIV after a few hours. I was using 182.xx Forceware drivers and assume that these were stressing my gpu beyond their intended design. I have had no issues on the OSX side since replacing the logic board.

Intense

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
toronto
When was the machine bought? February 2009 MBP-Penryn 2.5/512GT8660M
How intensive if your graphic card use? at the moment, i have been using it for web surfing and imovie only

I really hope I don't get any problems. I am starting to think that the future best scenario is to have two macs with time capsule. This way, if one breaks, there's another as backup. Sigh... the big question is, would I have the patience to save for another apple computer + another apple care for that computer + time capsule + the apple care for the time capsule all on a part-time work/student budget.

CTechKid

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Purchased in July '07
Laptop is heavily used for both work and play.
Has about 3000 hours of WoW on it.
I think the computer itself has been shut down less than 6 times in its whole life. :apple:

Runs like a champ. Currently rocking a Corsair SSD, and am experiencing the best computer experience of my life.

metroid87706

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
New Baltimore, MI
Bought December 26th, 2007.
No graphics issues.
Mild gaming (Halo, Half Life 2, and Team Fortress 2) and heavy Photoshop work (3k^2 - 4k^2 pixel documents)

Getting into the DJing business with a friend and need to have a reliable computer, so I'm thinking about taking it in to get it checked out and repaired before it occurs though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.