Macbook Pro and a Netgear router.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ethan028, Sep 15, 2010.

1. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

Okay so i have a netgear router and it works with ALL Pc stuff everything pc but when i bring my macbook pro and my iPhone and iPad into the equation they connect but can never bring up a webpage ever it doesn't even have a ip its a self stated IP so now i don't know what to do..

Thanks

Ethan

2. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Hi Ethan,

You are not the first to have such a problem. There's quite a few posts already on netgear/wireless problems. Some have been either kinda resolved, left unanswered, OPs not updating thread etc.

Anyway, I had a similar problem and nailed it when I recorded all the IPs of ALL my devices on the network (including those that were wired) eg. Wii, Xbox, phones, etc. and found out there was an IP conflict which my mbp failed to tell me. Instead of trying to figure out why my router was issuing out duplicate IPs or why my mbp was messing up my network, I gave all my Apple products (for both ethernet and wifi connections) a reserved IP address on the router. Rebooted the router, and renewed the DHCP leases on the problem units.

The IPs I reserved were the higher ones within my DHCP range, as the leased IPs tend to get allocated whichever lowest IP is available. I did this to avoid another conflict.

This worked for me and I haven't had a problem since. Worth a shot but no guarantees.

Good luck and keep us posted.

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I eventually ended up replacing my Netgear router with an AEBS. You can get them refurbished on apple.com for $129, which I think is a great deal.

4. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Perhaps try updating the firmware on your Netgear router?

I'm using a Netgear WNDR3700 and no issues at all with MBP, MB, iPhone or iPad.

Alternatively what bigjobby says will work but that means disabling DHCP on your Apple devices... which isn't a big deal if you don't use wifi much out in public.

5. tool80 macrumors newbie

tool80

Im using a Dual Band WNDR3400 with no issues at all (with the exception of the 5.0gHz band not connecting to my MBP if im 20+ feet away through about 4-5 walls) I have 1 Desktop, a total of 4 laptops (including my MBP), 2 PS3s, Xbox360, Wii, and my Moto Droid connected (but obviously not ALL on at the same time) with no problems at all.. Best of luck with your issue

6. bigjobby macrumors 65816

You can keep DHCP enabled on the devices as the reserved IP will still be distributed by the DHCP server.

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Just out of curiosity, which firmware are you using with your WNDR3700. I have the same router and I'm still on the firmware that it came with (and it's been working well) and never upgraded. I'd like to go to a firmware that will not cause problems with all my Apple gear. Thanks.