MacBook Pro and Accessories Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by snapper64, Apr 12, 2008.

1. snapper64 macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm going to be purchasing a base model MacBook Pro in a few days with my apple developer discount and im after a few accessories which i need to purchase at the same time in order to get discount on them.

I need a simple sleeve and a wireless mouse. I have found http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...mac/mac_accessories/notebook_cases&nplm=TP203 and am looking at the Logitech MX Revolution (i know i cant get this from apple, i will probably get a mouse elsewhere anyway due to apples limited choices), are these any good? what would you guys recommend?

If these are any good, is buying from apple the cheapest? Could i get them elsewhere for less (obviously less than i will get them with my discount) ?

Also should I spend the extra money to upgrade to a 7200rpm hard drive ?

Thanks,

Charlie

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

The developer discount does not count towards non-apple brand products. So, you will not recieve a discount on a logitech mouse. You are better off buying non-apple accessories elsewhere. I'd recommend the Logitech VX revolution over MX. It's the best mouse I've ever had, and I've had quite a few.'

The question regarding the 72k rpm hard drive depends on what you are using the computer for. Personally, I did upgrade. Keep in mind that the computer will be BTO, so no returns.

3. snapper64 thread starter macrumors regular

When you say no returns, do you mean that if i decided i didn't like the laptop and wanted to return it, i couldn't ? If so, that's not an issue as i don't plan on changing my mind.

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yes. You'd be surprised with how many people for some reason buy before really knowing what they want.

5. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

You may want to consider purchasing a keyboard protector as well. Spills aren't covered, and the $20 or so is money well spent, imo. I agree on the Logitech VX Revolution. You can get it for $53 at Amazon with free shipping (in USA). Good luck to you. :)

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I forget which ones which but I have the MX and VX and love them both. I prefer the bigger one though (whichever that is) for my desktop but for my laptop I choose the smaller one because it uses batteries and not a charging stand.

7. bradbowl macrumors member

I use a Logitech MX Revolution at home but I carry a corded Logitech mouse with me on the go. I really like the MX for the free flowing scroll wheel that can be switched into click wheel. The second scroll wheel is nice but I rarely use it. One charge lasts over a week too.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have a VX Revolution, which is just awesome. Forget bluetooth mice. This one is too great to pass up. However, it's a tad small, but I don't mind. The benefits definitely outweigh the disadvantages.

9. snapper64 thread starter macrumors regular

10. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I haven't tried these, but the Sonnet looks like a good one. It's hand washable/machine washable (it stated both?) which is good, plus it comes with a screen protector. The titanium color is nice, and less likely to show dust. Both would do the job. :)