LouieCm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Thank you very much for the tips, i will try not to get nervous when working on AE, lol.

Thanks again,
Louie

LouieCm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Maybe a fix for heating issues when on AE

Hey guys,

As I have mentioned on my previous post, I am starting to work on AE CC and I was concerned about the heating issues on my MacBook pro 15 mid 2012, 16GB ram...I was told my alot of people that I shouldn't worry about it since Macs are suppose to do that, ....I am bit stuborn so I kept on looking for a fix, to make me less nervous when rendering a 30 minutes video project :). I came across this : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/themadminds/tilt-stealth-the-ultimate-macbook-pro-cooling-pad , I wanted to ask if anyone has tried it and if not, anyone who might understand about this things better then me, maybe could advice me if by buying this, would it make life easier for me and my Mac when working on AE ?

Thank you so much for you time and thanks in advance.
Louie

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I didn't say it heats up on Facebook. Anything more then it will, however.

Oh shut up already. Your "R8" gets to operating temperatures even when you use it to get to the mall, and it'll get a whole lot warmer if you use it on a track. Do we hear you complain about it as much as you do about your computer?

LouieCm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Does NO NEED to be rude, as far as i know, i am free to post here regarding questions i might have, if you have nothing good to say, then stay away, don't get your knickers in a twist mate, if you had enough of my post PLEASE don't read it or follow it, i am PRETTY sure that for alot of ppl out there, my post will come handy. Apart from that, I WASN'T complaining, if you can read, you can see i actually posted a link to see if anyone knew. Another thing, what you do or how you take care of you pc/mac, it's your business, how i deal with mine, it's MY business. Like i said, don't like it, DON'T follow......I posted this for ppl to help...don't waste my time cos i certainly won't waste yours.

Thank you

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Does NO NEED to be rude, as far as i know, i am free to post here regarding questions i might have, if you have nothing good to say, then stay away, don't get your knickers in a twist mate, if you had enough of my post PLEASE don't read it or follow it, i am PRETTY sure that for alot of ppl out there, my post will come handy. Apart from that, I WASN'T complaining, if you can read, you can see i actually posted a link to see if anyone knew. Another thing, what you do or how you take care of you pc/mac, it's your business, how i deal with mine, it's MY business. Like i said, don't like it, DON'T follow......I posted this for ppl to help...don't waste my time cos i certainly won't waste yours.

Thank you

If you'd bothered to read my post, you'd see this reply wasn't directed at you at all but at AnonDP who has been trolling the forums for the past week complaining about his computer he so hates but won't get rid of.

Perhaps you simply did not know this but: Usually when one quotes someone in a forum, it's to reply to that particular person. (Like I just did in this very post).

My previous post was not directed at you in any way, shape or form.

LouieCm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Accept my apologies snaky69 , i did not noticed that it was for someone else, was not paying enough attention, yep, i don't complaint if the macbook gets hot when on facebook and browsing, i would know better that FLASH is bad for any computer really, and facebook has loads of flash games and ppl tend to play alot with it.....not me, i am more on the professional side, AE only when rendering and that's why after a few days i came back with the link showen on my other message, since it sounded very interesting.

Thank you,
Louie

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Accept my apologies snaky69 , i did not noticed that it was for someone else, was not paying enough attention, yep, i don't complaint if the macbook gets hot when on facebook and browsing, i would know better that FLASH is bad for any computer really, and facebook has loads of flash games and ppl tend to play alot with it.....not me, i am more on the professional side, AE only when rendering and that's why after a few days i came back with the link showen on my other message, since it sounded very interesting.

Thank you,
Louie
No offense taken, I understood quite well you hadn't noticed the quote.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I live working on after effects but I've noticed that when I start rendering, the laptop heats up ( 95 -100°C ), when I use it under normal browsing like Internet , YouTube etc, it's around 45-50°C, which is normal.
If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with recent OS X versions. You can download it here.
The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
The high temps are standard Apple spec. In theory there shouldn't be any trouble with running your computer this hot. However, in practice Apple has had a few problems with models where the GPU fails mainly due to high temps. So yes, your computer runs hot and it's perfectly normal. Should you be worried, maybe... Plenty of people game and render for hour on end on their machine and will never have a problem. My 2011 MBP had to get a 600$ logic board replacement because Apple screwed up and won't admit it. Your model doesn't appear to have a known issue though.

If you really want to help it stay cooler, I'd look into a fan control program, it'll let you force the fans to work harder.

LouieCm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Thanks for the reply, yeah I have the paid version of temperature gauge, but there's no way of spinning up the fan before rendering. I have posted this link : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/themadminds/tilt-stealth-the-ultimate-macbook-pro-cooling-pad , but no one seemed to have taken a look at it, dunno, looks interesting , maybe a good solution for macbook pros without having to force its fans. If someone could look at it and give me advice would be great :)
Thanks again
Louie

Last edited:

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Thanks for the reply, yeah I have the paid version of temperature gauge, but there's no way of spinning up the fan before rendering. I have posted this link : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/themadminds/tilt-stealth-the-ultimate-macbook-pro-cooling-pad , but no one seemed to have taken a look at it, dunno, looks interesting , maybe a good solution for macbook pros without having to force it's fans. If someone could look at it and give me advice would be great :)
Thanks again
Louie

It actually won't do much if you don't force the fans. Look at smc Fan Control. If you don't force the fans, the pad will do some cooling so the internal fans will be happy to work less but still keep your computer at a toasty 100ºC.

IMHO, if you're this worried about heat problems, just keep your computer under AppleCare. Your computer is a tool and the temperatures you're experiencing are per Apple spec. You wouldn't buy a saw not to use it in case you might ruin the blade. ;)

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
Thanks for the reply, yeah I have the paid version of temperature gauge, but there's no way of spinning up the fan before rendering. I have posted this link : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/themadminds/tilt-stealth-the-ultimate-macbook-pro-cooling-pad , but no one seemed to have taken a look at it, dunno, looks interesting , maybe a good solution for macbook pros without having to force its fans. If someone could look at it and give me advice would be great :)
Thanks again
Louie
The App Store version isn't the one to have and I don't think you're talking about Temperature Gauge Pro when you say you have the paid version! That one has to be downloaded from the developers website and does allow manual fan speed control. It's also cheaper and less intrusive than just about any Hardware solution.

Highly recommended if you're a little OCD about temperatures. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 17.34.21.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 17.34.21.png
    499.5 KB · Views: 46

LouieCm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
lol, i guess i might be a bit, but better safe then sorry , no?
Yeah, i have the paid version as you can see on the screenshot, costed me 4 euros ish, doesn't say pro but it's the paid version bought from apple store ( which takes you to the official website.

Attachments

• tg.jpg
    tg.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 60

AnonDP

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2014
Oh shut up already. Your "R8" gets to operating temperatures even when you use it to get to the mall, and it'll get a whole lot warmer if you use it on a track. Do we hear you complain about it as much as you do about your computer?

Accept in my R8 I do not sit with the engine burning my lap and making me infertile.

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
lol, i guess i might be a bit, but better safe then sorry , no?
Yeah, i have the paid version as you can see on the screenshot, costed me 4 euros ish, doesn't say pro but it's the paid version bought from apple store ( which takes you to the official website.
...as said, the App Store version doesn't allow manual fan speed control - I made the same mistake, so you'll just have to buy the Pro version. :(

> Tunabelly.com< @$14.99.

----------

Accept in my R8 I do not sit with the engine burning my lap and making me infertile.
you don't know the difference between Accept & Except and someone gave you $98,000 & and an R8 ...is that like Jamaican Dollars and a Mazda, or maybe you mean you have those things saved on Forza 4 or something? :cool:

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*

You still carrying on the wind up game now with an R8 and an iPhone 4 you don't want to upgrade nom de plume?

You will need to be sitting on top of your rMBP for infertility unless you have Buster G*nad's unfeasibly large t.......s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.