Macbook Pro and Aperture and Photoshop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rblogger, Oct 31, 2008.

1. rblogger macrumors newbie

Does anyone use Aperture on his new Macbook Pro?

How is the experience? Does Aperture get slow if you edit (changing a few sliders) a RAW image?

How is the experience with Photoshop? Since it is still running rosetta...

I ve ordered a MBP with 2.8 Ghz. I hope I will be able to work smoothly with those apps.

2. kperrone macrumors newbie

kperrone

Have not messed with Aperture yet but Photoshop CS3 runs smoothly on my new MBP 2.4

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

CS3 does not run under Rosetta - it is Intel binary.

And both Aperture and CS3 run fine on a MBP.

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I upgraded my early 2007 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz to the new 2.53Ghz MacBook Pro. I am running Aperture ver 2, with Photoshop CS3. CS3 runs natively not under Rosetta. I am running with just the 9400M graphics (I have found that I rarely need to use the 9600 GT and prefer to have the notebook running cooler). I have noticed that in Aperture moving through full screen images is noticeably quicker. Photoshop also loads noticeably faster on the new MacBook Pro as well. I was not expecting this much of a speed increase as the processor speed difference is not that great, but I suspect it is a combination of all of the new components having a small individual increase, as well as going from 2GB of Ram to 4GB.

I was on a two day Portrait course over the weekend, which included some professional photographers, the glossy screen was a topic of conversation, and basically all agreed that because the screen was so bright, it was a non issue. After seeing the new notebook one of them said they would be ordering one this week.

5. rblogger thread starter macrumors newbie

Very interesting to read that.

I am getting happier... the mbp just left shanghai... I bought Photoshop CS4 and it runs pretty well already on my imac 2.0 ghz.

6. KThomsen macrumors newbie

James, that's great to hear. It's still the one thing I'm worried about on the new MBPs. I ordered it anyway and just hope it wont bug me too much.

Does CS4 run a lot faster/better than CS3 on the dual core, or what's the deal?

I've ordered Aperture 2 as well. I hope it's faster than Photoshop for daily use.

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Aperture works awesomely on both graphics chips so far. I think it is a bit smoother at working more complex modifications on the M GT, but overall it has been really nice.

Best to use with an external display for color accuracy, but you can do some really good work with the laptop display itself. I am also a heavy user of gimp, and have really enjoyed using the Leopard version of that application as well!

Picture 1.jpg

[​IMG]