MacBook Pro and Apple Cinema Display help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by summero, Jul 18, 2007.

1. summero macrumors regular

summero

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to close my MacBook Pro so that it won't go to sleep? I want to be able to use it in desktop mode using my Apple Cinema Display.

Thanks in advance!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

All you need to do is to close the lid and then move the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard... that's what I'm typing on right now: external keyboard, MBP and separate monitor.

3. summero thread starter macrumors regular

summero

Oh haha alright, thank you! I wasn't sure what to do... but thanks again! :)

4. summero thread starter macrumors regular

summero

Everytime I close my MacBook Pro, the fans start going crazy. Is there a way to keep them quiet?

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

They go crazy because a lot of the heat is dispatched through the keyboard. So if you cover that up (i.e. close the screen) the heat will remain in the system and get pushed out the exhaust (under the screen). For it to get pushed out, the fans have to turn up to a higher RPM to get the air circulating.

If you turned the fans down, you might overheat your MBP. They are running high for a reason.

Move your MBP to another place if the noise is annoying you - you don't need the MBP to be directly beside you if you are using an external monitor and mouse.

6. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

You could try getting a stand for your mbp if you don't already have one to allow air to circulate around the whole thing better when in clamshell mode. I keep mine propped up in a vertical stand which is really food for air circular..AND takes up less desk space. My fans are barely audible when I use it clamshell with the externals... unless I put on a dvd and then it gets alittle louder, but stays really cool this way.

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

That looks like a cool little device, but I'm not so sure I agree with the way it's configured in the picture. Pointing the fan exhaust down seems contrary to efficient cooling. But I don't know how much this would actually affect things in the real world.

8. jgcalifornia macrumors newbie

when i close the lid to my macbookpro, my Apple Cinema monitor goes black for a second, and when it comes back on, it keeps trying to go to sleep, and you hear my laptop trying to wake up and sleep repeatedly...Did i miss some kind of setting?
    Also, is there a way I can get some more room from this crazy spider cable coming out of the LCD monitor? Ive got the mini DVI port connected to it, and then the power cord plugged into the power adapter box..Doesnt go any further because their all connected into one cable...
    Thanks in advance!!