Macbook Pro and Apple Customer Support

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DayOfChaos, Sep 10, 2012.

1. DayOfChaos, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

I have been having an ongoing saga with my Macbook Pro Late 2011, first being it was sent in to get fixed because the plastic decided to crack, no problem, came back fixed, but I find out my USB ports have been damaged. If I keep a USB in, and I transfer data, it will stop, reconnect and disconnect over and over. I have reinstalled Mountain Lion, so I know it is a hardware issue. So I called again, not very happy with the repair facility for breaking my Macbook Pro, so they said OK, we will send a box out again, so I'm like not like I really wanna send it in again, but OK.

Week later and I still have no box. Called again, they said sure, they are sending another one out. Its now been another week. I have no working computer that I paid 2,000 for. So basically, I finally got a box (I had to call a THIRD time), but school just started and it is required to have your own laptop with software the school gives you such as Final cut and some others. I will be importing via USB and well, my USB ports don't work, and since I can't waste a week of class while my computer is in, I am not sure what to do.

Also, now the computer will just randomly power itself off. I could be saving something, using Facebook and just bam will shut off. It will do that randomly, so I am starting to think this whole computer is defective and my experience so far has been a nightmare. If there are parts I can do to fix it, or just replace the machine as a whole. I mean, I have tried everything from reinstalling mountain lion, followed apples support tutorials, anything I can think of but nothing is fixing it, and even sending it it once and more issues occurred. It hasn't been dropped or damaged in anyway so I am just thinking the machine as a whole is defective which is unfortunate because I have video productions class everyday and I can get no work done without it. *

I was told I could walk into an Apple Store and just get it swapped out, but the closest one is about 5 hours away (FML). After all that, I did call, and they sent me to a local repair shop, but they told me they don't handle repairs and I would have to send it in, which I am unable to do because a computer is mandatory for my class :(. *

To add to all this, the charger port will randomly shut off, and I will have to unplug it from the computer and plug it back in for it to start charging again. I know it isn't the cord, because the cord is brand new. *Overall, this whole situation has been very frustrating, and at this point I would just like a flat out replacement Macbook Pro because honestly, I have no idea what this machine could do next and I have lost all trust in the repair facility.

Apple support has been great, but I have read horror stories of sending in your Macbook Pro that was already fixed, and coming back worse.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Is there a special Apple line for these types of problems?

I appreciate any input, thanks. :)

Other Information:
    - I did not just buy this computer, I got it last year in Nov.
    - Still in warranty
    - The college does not offer replacement Macbook Pros, only Windows machines, which doesn't help since they can't run Final Cut.
    - I can not send it in, because I need to use the machine to keep my grades up and submit my projects (praying it works), I can't drive 4-5ish hours to an Apple Store and for them to just tell me to send it in, local repair shop didn't know, Apple support wants to send out another box.

I don't know what to do. :(

2. Arizor macrumors member

Well mate since you're ruling out sending it back in there's not much you can do except use a broken computer and get more and more angry with it.

Honestly if the only option you've got is that or send it in, just send it in.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Call Applecare support. Explain your situation and ask this: "What are my options?"

Last time I tried this, they offered to send me a replacement. Which I accepted. When it arrived, it was a 2007 model instead of the 2006 I had trouble with.

4. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Email tcook@apple.com

Explain the whole story, in detail and professionally.

Make sure you include a phone number you can easily be reached at.

Apple Executive Rep will contact you within 24 hrs and should resolve your issue ASAP. Those reps have a lot of discretionary powers :)

Good luck !

5. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

It sounds like Apple has issues but they're trying to fix the machine. I know that school is important but you've got to make other arrangements like using a computer lab or a friends machine until Apple can fix your computer. If it's so imparitive that you have a computer you should have a backup just in case.