macbook pro and asus MX27AQ no 2560 x 1440 resolution

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hhuent, May 3, 2015.

1. hhuent macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

no way I can connect my mabook with my new asus monitor at 2560 x 1440 resolution. Any hints what I can do?

This is my setup:
    macbook pro mid 2010 (max 2560 x 1440 with external monitor)
    mavericks OS 10.9.5
    ASUS MX27AQ (has display port)
    cable: mini display port to display port (E301195 AWM style)
    The monitor settings show the name of the external monitor and the "optimal for monitor" setting.

Concerning the hardware it should be possible to have the full resolution, but the "optimal resolution" turns out to be no more than 1920 and has not a crisp fine picture.
    Any ideas? Is Mavericks the bad boy? Or the cable (but a normal mini display port to display port cable should do the trick no matter if 1.1 or 1.2 or whatever)?

Thanks indeed for your help

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Why the old OS? Upgrade to latest Yosemite. The video updates can't make you worse off than you are today.

3. hhuent thread starter macrumors newbie

well, I read about Yosemite being quite a bit more slow with not so many advantages and wanted to pass on that one...

Would Yosemite be my solution?

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Maybe you will find some useful informaton here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5485930.
    And you may try this cable: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-6-Feet-DisplayPort-Adapter-Cable/dp/B002XVYZ82/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8.

5. hhuent thread starter macrumors newbie

thans, Ulenspiegel. Unfortunately a reset of the PRAM / NVRAM did not work like suggested in the apple thread. Nor did showing all options under "Scaled" (monitor settings). The max goes up to 1600 or so...

Other solutions anyone?

6. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Try the cable or similar I have posted. I think the culprit is the cable.

7. hhuent thread starter macrumors newbie

Still no solution.

I tried everything, bought a new mini display port to display port cable et. But did not update to yosemite.

Still my macbook pro mid 2010 and my ASUS MX27AQ do not deliver a resolution of 2560 x 1440.

I´m going nuts with this...

Further suggestions?

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

It should have worked with a mini-DP to DP cable. Just a dumb question: have you set the Input Source on the ASUS monitor to DP?

I am clueless here as many use the mini-DP to DP for a setup like yours and it works perfectly at 2560 x 1440.

9. hhuent thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Ulenspiegel,

Yes I did. Strange this is happening. Will check the ASUS with a windows laptop and see if my Mac or the monitor is the source...

Best,

10. hhuent thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I tried the ASUS with a Windows laptop and HDMI cable. Worlks fine with the max. resolution when you only use one monitor.

So my macbook pro is to blame. Still only delivers a 1980 resolution. Anybody out there with a solution to this?

Upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite? I learnt from some threads that a user with a macbook 2010 and Yosemite OS still had the same problem as I have.

11. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Plug your MacBook into the mains, hook up the monitor and close the lid to go into clamshell mode and see if it is possible then.