MacBook Pro and Battery Cycles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wheelhot, Jul 10, 2009.

1. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Hello everyone, well recently I noticed that my MBP battery drop really really fast. I downloaded coconut battery and it seems my maximum battery charge is at <1000 mAh, that explains a lot (out of suppose 5600 mAh).

It also states that my Mac had just went through 130 loadcycles which I think is still early? Also it shows my Mac age as just 15 months.

So what should I do? I tried re-calibrate it but doesn't work. It just fluctuates within the 1000 mAh range.

If I'm not mistaken my MBP is the first generation with multi touch trackpad

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You should be able to get a replacement, as the battery warranty is >80% capacity after at least 300 cycles.

I'm not sure if you're out of computer warranty if Apple is obligated to replace the battery, but it seems quite a few people around here haven't had an issue with it.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you don't have AppleCare and your MacBook Pro is outside of the 1-year limited warranty, don't expect Apple to replace anything but you should still try to call them and see what they say.

4. wheelhot thread starter macrumors 68020

alright..noooo!!!! 3 months after 1 year warranty.....damn it! Lets hope its related to Sony bad batch batteries :D

5. sal macrumors 6502

is coconut battery still being updated? I wouldn't trust it it if isn't being updated.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It is, every once in a while. It just pulls the battery information from System Profiler anyways.

7. wheelhot thread starter macrumors 68020

nooo!!!, my Apple store said that my mac is out of warranty and will not replace it :(

Damn this sucks!

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's not really that big of a surprise...

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Another reason to always buy applecare. Always.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's doubtful they'd replace it even if he did have AppleCare. Standard policy for battery replacement is 80% capacity after 300 cycles *or* 1 year.

11. wheelhot thread starter macrumors 68020

That's odd, my friend says, even Apple Care doesn't cover battery, he says it covers everything except batteries...

12. KC2 macrumors regular

It covers batteries that are defective. Straight from the "AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions" (http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/AppleCare_Protect_Plan_NA_en.pdf)

"b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover: [...] (ix) Consumable parts, such as batteries, except in respect of battery coverage under APP for iPod
    or unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials and workmanship;"

My MBP battery became defective about 13-14 months into ownership (purchased AppleCare in month 10 or 11). The battery was only holding charge for about 40 minutes, after only 30 cycles - it's plugged in almost all the time. Brought it in under, had all the symptoms of a defective battery, replaced on the spot. So in that sense, AC does cover batteries - defective ones.

13. MidiMonk macrumors regular

I only got 42 cycle out of mine and it gives 20 minutes at best.I followed all Apples suggestions too.Apple has crappy batteries and its a sad state of affairs.My laptop is now just a glorified desktop.

14. oregon2 macrumors regular

How much do battery replacements cost from apple? or online?

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

16. wheelhot thread starter macrumors 68020

damn, this is BS! I paid premium for mac and I get crappy batteries that died in 130 cycle count. And I need to pay for the new battery which is a total BS!

My battery is this Sony-ASMB012.

17. KC2 macrumors regular

Have you brought it in to the Genius Bar for them to look at it? In the latest Maccast podcast I listened to, the guy said that the Geniuses do have some discretion when it comes to replacements, and don't necessarily have to follow the book 100%. Being that it's a battery though, I think you might have a tougher time, but it's worth a shot anyway.

18. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

AppleCare covered my battery replacement and I was 6 months out of my first year. I think it really depends who you talk to. The guy said immediately that they will replace it, no questions asked.

19. Mueslimonster macrumors newbie

My battery got replaced even though I was one year out of warranty- so give them a call.