Macbook Pro and battery life, yet again

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Archive, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Archive macrumors member

Hi,

I just got off the phone with AppleCare here in Germany to tell them that the battery I have has a maximum charge of 2687 mAh (47%) after 23 cycles.

I want to note, this is a Macbook Pro, 2nd gen running OS X Leopard 10.5.6.
    In addition, AppleCare already replaced the original battery after it had run down to about 50% health without question.

This guy at AppleCare I talked to told me that it was my fault for leaving the notebook plugged in all the time.
    Is it really this bad? I have had this battery for about 9 months. It has 23 cycles and I have calibrated it twice in that time.
    Was it really my fault that the battery is trashed now?

Btw: already tried PRAM/NVRAM and SMC resets to no avail

2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

When you run your battery do you charge it all the way then let it go down all the way, or do you just charge it randomly here and there?

3. P90Xfit macrumors regular

4. Archive thread starter macrumors member

I charge it here an there most of the time. However, when I started running it down completely the machine would shut off without warning, so I didn't do that anymore.

5. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

I leave my MBP plugged in all the time too...but I calibrate it more often than you did...I do it every 4-6 weeks.

That Applecare guy doesn't know what he's talking about...Apple says it's ok to leave notebooks plugged in, as long as you calibrate regularly, right on their website.

6. Archive thread starter macrumors member

He actually went to talk to a technician while I was on the phone with him. That took about 10 minutes. When he came back he said this happens only when you don't discharge it often enough.

Of course a buddy of mine discharges his MBP regularly, and he has 20% battery life after 123 cycles. But he's out of warranty and can't get it replaced.
    So basically the same thing happens wether you discharge it or not?

7. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I'm fortunate enough so that the charging cycle works well with my schedule.

I run the battery down all the way when I'm at school. Then when I get home I charge it, when I go to bed it's at 100% and I go from there.

I'm on my 43 cycle and still at 100%.

Now you know my schedule, haha.

8. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

It shouldn't. It's supposed to be 80% after 300 cycles. For your case, maybe you weren't discharging regularly enough. For your friend's case, maybe he got a bad battery to start with.

With your new battery try discharging more often...every four weeks or so. Follow these instructions. See if that makes it last longer.

9. Archive thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. But after I calibrated the first time (a month after I got it) the health went from 100% to 80% and its been downhill from there.

10. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Might have been a bad battery then. Should have called Apple right there....there's no reason for such a drastic loss of capacity after callibration.

11. eldy macrumors 6502

Did you notice the usage time of your laptop getting shorter proportionally to the indicated battery capacity?

12. Archive thread starter macrumors member

I don't know if it was really proportionately shorter. However it went down to something like 40 min from 100% to off. As I said, without a low battery warning.

13. eldy macrumors 6502

You should have the battery replaced again under warranty. Maybe they can also take a look at the component that controls battery charging if it happens again.