MacBook Pro and Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jb60606, Feb 2, 2008.

?

What are the chances the new MBP will be equipped with a Blu-Ray drive

Poll closed Feb 12, 2008.
  1. Chances are high

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Chances are low

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

What are the chances that the new MacBook Pro will be equipped with a Blu-Ray drive?

Bottom line is that I need a notebook and I've decided on the MacBook Pro, but my worry is that Apple is going to release a new MBP just weeks after my purchase.

I don't really care for the new trackpad, or even a faster processor/graphics chip. What I do care about is whether or not the MBPs will come equipped with a Blu-Ray drive. This will crush me and make me regret my purchase. I'm hoping it'll wait until 2009.

2. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

I think they'll release one in the near future but not with Blu-Ray. If they were going to incorporate Blu-Ray, they would've given it to the Mac Pro first.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

New MBPs with bluray and ssd will be in hangar 18 at Wright Patterson next week. Or the week after for sure.

4. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

what's the point of a bluray drive on a laptop? Seriously its really not that pertinent right now. The MacBook Air doesn't even have an optical drive and evrryones freakin about the Mbps getting bluray. I thought the future was supposed to be downloaded content and flash? I'll save bluray for my HD projector not for a fifteen inch screen.

5. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The MacBook Air doesn't have a optical drive because it's a "sub-notebook" class computer.

Wireless transfer of data is the DISTANT future. There is no substitute for transferable 50GB media, such as Blu-Ray. Flash drives - while being a decent alternative - cost more to manufacture than a disc, and would cost the customer a considerable amount more as well.

Blu Ray isn't just for hi-def movies. And if it were, I think most people would rather rent a blu-ray disc than download a 6-10GB equivalent.

6. sfs macrumors member

I think that Blu-Ray will eventually come to the MBP, possibly as soon as the revision after the one expected within the next week or two. WWDC 2008, or possibly Macworld 2009, are the most likely times for that update. I suspect that WWDC will see the redesigned MBP with the major upgrades such as Blu-Ray, and that Apple won't put Blu-Ray in anything prior to that. In fact, that would be a good release point for putting Blu-Ray on all the Pro machines.

I just had a terrible thought: what if they put Blu-Ray into all of the new computers, but make us buy a software unlocker to enable anything beyond Superdrive capabilities (or perhaps any burning at all)? Would we riot?

7. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

Most logical post of the day.