Macbook Pro and Clamshell mode problems...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kdum8, Jun 23, 2008.

1. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

OK so the Macbook Pro is officially designed to be able to run in clamshell mode (run with the lid closed) [http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286] while connected to an external monitor. However I have experienced serious problems running it in this state. System crashes are more frequent (hardly occur normally) and my time machine just freezes when the mac is run in clamshell mode. I have tested this extensively in both normal mode and in clamshell and the multitude of problems that I have experienced only occur in the latter state. Obviously I will have to run it open even though closed is more convenient for me.

My question is has anyone else here had experience of issues such as these or otherwise that they can share? And why do apple sanction their use in this mode when there is clearly a problem here? I guess that it is caused by excessive heat but iStat Pro still shows my CPU/Heatsink temps to be within acceptable parameters... :confused:

2. lhotka macrumors regular

There's no way I'd run mine closed for extended periods of time. If you're going to, at the very least get a laptop cooling stand.

3. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I run mine in clamshell mode about 95% of the time on a stand. Never any issues to speak of.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apple endorses this because this is one of the modes the machine is designed to run; if it wasn't specifically engineered for this purpose, there would be about a zillion "don't do macbook pro clamshell mode" threads, but numerous others, including myself, run the machine extensively in this mode and have no problems.

There are no iffs, and's or butts about it; the macbook pro does not vent from the front, the sides, or the keyboard. The cooling for its critical components, while housed in the top of the keyboard are designed to be cooled by (very effective) heat pipes , which leads to two heatsinks towards to back, cooled by two intake/exhaust fans.

Now, i'm not saying that yours doesn't have a problem, because obviously it does. This can be hundreds of issues. It may not be cooling properly as it should, but since your temps are fine, it may be something else.
    One guess could be is that the latch/magnetic latch that tells the unit that the lid is down could be sending false positives and confusing OS X.
    Does it also do this with a clean install of OS X?

Send it to apple and have them take a look at it. It is strange, but certiantly not representative of most MPBs, and 100% of the ones i've seen.

5. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

OK Eddy, thank you for your reply. If the latch were not quite closed, could this be a source of the problem? You mentioned this... And for a while I did crack it open slightly thinking that might help with heat dissipation.

I want to use the scientific method to eliminate as many possibilities as I can before I send it away to Apple so I am still trying things... I have attached a picture of my iStat Pro readout as it is now, would you agree that these temps are normal? Thank you once again.

Attached Files:

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Against my own temps they look a little on the high side, but i'm only running inDesign and firefox with about 20 tabs, nothing too intensive.

Hopefully some of the other members can shed some light; i'm not too keen on the operating temperatures of this machine (yet).

Good luck :D