MacBook Pro and Display why it's not that overpriced

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jfriedman8, Jan 23, 2009.

1. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

So I have a new Uni 15" MBP and am considering getting an Air and the display. When I broke down everything the display has, I really do not think it is that overpriced, here's my thoughts, just curious if anyone else agrees.

1. It's a 24" LED screen
    2. It's also a very good 2.1 sound system (lets say that would be an extra $75 for good looking and sounding 2.1 speakers to match the MBP. I say that because the whole point of this display is to integrate it with other Apple products)
    3. It's a second magsafe charger. ($79)
    4. It looks cleaner than adding the two above accessories

My previous Gateway FHD2400 24" monitor was about $425, so I am basing the pricing according to that price level/ quality. So here is my conclusion:
    The price of my Gateway with the two accessories is $579. The display with education discount is $799 +tx, but for this conversations sake neglect it. I would value the LED'ness about $100/150 over just an old CCFL LCD, so that really makes this a question of $679 to $799 and a difference of $120. I would say to have everything integrated in one great looking quality display it is worth it.

2. tecknical macrumors regular

does it have HDMI?
    that for me is a big no-no because in a small college dorm, a 24" monitor is the perfect way to play PS3 and 360, which require HDMI.

so it is overpriced when you think of the general functionality of the monitor.

apple tax ftw.

3. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

No HDMI, it's specifically made for the NEW line up of Mac laptops. It only has one cable split 3 ways for sound through USB, power with masafe, and display via the Mini Displayport. Since I have a MBP and eventually a MBA it is a perfect companion, not really overpriced in my opinion.

4. Hydroxs macrumors regular

The richer you are, the less expensive things seem to be. Not all of us can buy a $2500 computer then a $900 monitor lol.

5. brentsg macrumors 68030

And let's not forget that it's an H-IPS panel as well. That alone removes monitors like the Gateway from the comparison.

This display is squarely aimed at a target. If you need a multi-purpose display to play games and watch movies in a college dorm, then this product was not designed with you in mind. It's as simple as that.

For what it is designed to do, it is a good value for me. I would not even consider dropping down to a TN or PVA panel in order to gain an HDMI port.