Macbook Pro and Drobo

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KarenWillshaw, Jun 18, 2011.

1. KarenWillshaw macrumors newbie

Hi, I am very new to Mac (10.6.7) having been a PC user for many years. I've just installed a Drobo, 4 slot with 4x1tb WD hard drives. It first appeared as one "drobo" on my desk top and once it was formatted to HFS+ it now appears as two drobo's. Judging from the Drobo video I was watching on the internet, this isn't meant to happen. Obviously I've done something (which is nothing unusual as I am a total technical middle age dweeb:eek::eek:). Would appreciate if someone could steer me in the right direction.

My other question relating to Drobo is I will soon be loading all my images onto an external 1tb drive, rather than choke up the internal drive. Will the Drobo recognise that?

Thanks in advance - Karen

2. stomer, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

stomer macrumors 6502a

When you initially formatted your Drobo, you'd have specified a partition size. I think the default is 2TB. Because you've installed large enough drives to give you > 2TB of usable storage, the Drobo tries to find a way of allowing you to access the remaining space, so it creates another 2TB partition.

If you really want to get rid of the 2 partitions, you'll need to reformat your Drobo with a partition size > 2TB.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Exactly correct. This is why I formatted mine as a 16Tb partition. This has other potential issues, the most serious being that the Finder will try and let me write 16Tb of data to it despite the fact I only have 2.7Tb of disc available.