Macbook Pro and External Hard Disk Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thakerv, May 25, 2008.

1. thakerv macrumors newbie

Hi guys, this is my first post in the forum. I am going to get a Macbook Pro (base config) in June, after WWDC (just incase + i have exams now). This will be my first mac and i am very excited. I have 1 question though, I plan to get a Lacie hard disk (http://www.lacie.com/intl/products/product.htm?pid=11084) and I was wondering if I can use this for time machine and also for transferring data from home and school. For eample I will have all my back-ups and other documents as well. Also if I plug my disk into a windows machine (my school uses windows only) can I go through the TM backup folders to access data from there or will I have to save it again separately? Also I think the drive has a FAT32 format. Does this mean that any other files that I add have to be less than 4GB. Thanks in advance

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Time Machine will only backup to partitions formatted in HFS+. You can have two partitions on the disk: one HFS+ for Time Machine backups, one FAT32 for data transfer...

3. thakerv thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot! Also can the partition be done in disk utility?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sure, but do it straight away: repartitioning deletes all data on the drive...