Macbook Pro and external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erico317, Feb 5, 2009.

1. erico317 macrumors newbie

Guys please forgive me as I'm a new user... And new Macbook Pro owner...

How would I use my laptop monitor and a external monitor at the same time? Is this even possible? Basically I would like to use the external monitor for Logic studio 8 mixer, and the laptop monitor itself for other software running at the same time... That way I can view both at the same time..

Any help would be appreciated...

thanks,
    Eric

2. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

I use the setup you mentioned for Final Cut Express 4, it's quite easy.

If you are using a unibody MBP you need a DisplayPort to DVI or whatever your monitor accepts, if not then just plug your DVI cable in. Once you have that adapter just plug in your external monitor. If it is not detected right away just go in to the system preferences (unless you have the monitor icon in your menu bar, then use that) and click on displays, then detect displays. You will have the choice of using it the way you described or in Mirrored mode (you get the same thing on both monitors). Once you see your wallpaper (w/o the Dock) on the external monitor just drag the open programs over to it and your good to go.

I'm sure there are other people here who can give you a better and more precise explanation but that's the gist of it.

3. erico317 thread starter macrumors newbie