Macbook, pro and Final Cut Express

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by janesterling421, Feb 18, 2008.

1. janesterling421 macrumors newbie

I am about to buy either the Macbook or the macbook Pro. I have used Final Cut Pro in the past and wondered if Final Cut Express is an adequate program to edit. Shortcomings? I also see that Apple offers free installation into both the Macbook and the Pro. I called a store and someone said that the Macbook would not be sufficient to do video editing and that I needed to get 4gigs with the Pro and a large video card in order for it to work right. I really don't want to spend that much money. Do I need to get the Pro if I am doing some video editing and graphics or can the macbook handle it with an external monitor? What does the video chip actually do for the workings of the computer?

Please help me decide if I can work with the Macbook. Thanks:eek:

2. Tattoo macrumors 6502

Buy a referb 15" Mac Book Pro.

3. cneo macrumors newbie

i think it really depends on the scale and scope of your projects... AND your budget.
    You can video edit on the macbook or the macbook pro.
    It will definitely be slower on the macbook.

If you are going into this industry or want to do professional quality stuff... I would spend the extra and get the Macbook Pro (even if you don't add everything you can build off it). If this is just for fun or if you can see yourself replacing this within a 1-2 year span, then get the Macbook.

Couple things I would do regardless...
    - max out memory - the current Santa Rosa platform allows you to upgrade the memory on the macbook to 4gb as well (i bet they didnt tell you that in the store).
    - get an external hd (firewire if you are getting the pro... for scratch and capturing... the usb one is supposed to drop frames... so only storage if you're getting the macbook (non-pro))

Also I would wait until this week is over... I feel like there is a New Macbook Pro coming soon... if there is... the older ones you should be able to get cheaper or you might want to just pull the trigger on the new ones.

4. boazjoe macrumors member

I am running the 2.4 MBP with 2gb Ram and 200gb HD with FCE and am very happy. The program hung up some at first, but the new revision of the OS seems to have fixed that and I have not had a single glitch since.

From futzing with the MB at the store, I really don't think you would be happy if you are doing much editing. And if you aren't doing much, you may as well stick with ImovieHD - it is free. :)

I just capture and edit on the HD and when done, save to an external USB HD. Don't have a firewire HD so can't vouch for passthrough capture. Have been very happy and would recommend you wait a week or two as above then get whatever suits your needs.