Macbook Pro and Flash Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ShuggieOtis, Sep 10, 2011.

1. ShuggieOtis macrumors newbie

Alright first things first :

I have the latest version of OS Lion as well as the latest flash upgrade

My Macbook Pro still seems to running really hot if I watch youtube videos, go on Justin.tv etc. and I was wondering if there is any tips or apps that I should be using to cool down my system or to make flash work better with my system. My Macbook is only a year old so It should not act like this.

thanks for your help.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's quite normal for any computer to run hotter while playing Flash content. Flash is CPU intensive and thus creates a lot of heat.

All you can do is make sure you have adequate ventilation.

3. ShuggieOtis thread starter macrumors newbie

4. realchimera macrumors regular

The high temperature of MBP is due to its design. It's like a small desktop. That's why it's temperature is relatively higher than other laptops.
    I was a little bit worried about the high CPU temperature too before I read the review article below

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2008/10/2008-macbookpro-review-2.ars/4

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

This largely applies to Macs.

The ThinkPads we use at work run flash for hours no problem. However in fairness ours are high end workstations with proper cooling systems designed in. The carbon fiber composite bodies are vented on both sides and twin fans with quiet fan blades move air in a very efficient & whisper quiet manor. They're designed for resource intense work and run nice and cool.

In over ten years the only time the topic of flash has been discussed is when Steve Jobs began attacking Adobe. Otherwise it's a non issue for us.

As a long time user of Apple laptops (PowerBooks & MacBook Pros) I'm used to the issue and in several situations I've taken them apart to remove the sloppy gobs of thermal paste. Once cleaned, with a new thin coat of premium paste, the temps drop rather dramatically.

I'm just a bit surprised that after years, Apple still overlooks this sloppy Mfg issue. My mid 2010 17" i7 MBP had huge wads of paste on it We've never had to do that with any of the work computers.

6. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Get smcfancontrol to boost the cooling fan RPM and keep your laptop running cool.