Macbook Pro and gaming, advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RastajeleN, Nov 2, 2014.

1. RastajeleN macrumors newbie

Hello,

I was wondering if the community here could help me out with one decision. I need to decide whether to upgrade my current macbook pro or buy a new one, but since I am not a tech guy nor big on gamingwise important PC components I am asking for your help.

Currently I have: Macbook Pro 13" (Mid-2010)
    What am I using it for: Regular school work, amateur short movie clip editing and for me most importantly gaming - that is only WoW and LoL.
    Problem: In both games I have 30 fps on average on low graphic settings. Plus, I cannot have any other apps turned on - I find it very frustrating now, as it is getting worse and worse.
    What do I want:
    1. Stick to OS X. I know it is truly not the smartest choice if I care about playing games on it the most. But I got used to it and I love it.
    2. Around 70 FPS on High settings. That is in WoW and LoL.
    3. 15" mb.

Variant A: Upgrade my current macbook, get a SSD disc and better RAM. However, would that increase my fps at all?

Variant B: Get a new macbook pro, specifically macbook pro retina 15", the basic one. As I can get it without VAT in my country. Meaning it would cost around 2,200 dollars.

Any suggestions? I really only plan to play WoW and LoL. No battlefield 3 or any other high-gaming games. I do not want Windows (well, at the moment, I know it would be cheaper). I am asking about the efficiency of the newest mb pros in those 2 games.

Any suggestions and recommendations are very much appreciated.
    Thank you

EDIT: People on different forums already told me that Variant A will not solve my problem. So It is all about Variant B now. Please, could anyone here tell me how will the 2 games look on the MB pro 15" retina? Cause a few people told me that the games wont support that high resolution, so I would have to play them on lower resolution and that would make it (much) worse. Is that true? If, how worse?

Thanks!

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I'm not sure a base model rMBP would suit your needs either.

I'd be looking more at the top end to give you a discrete GPU.

As far as the display goes, I couldn't tell you as I have not run those games.

3. Icehawk, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

Icehawk macrumors member

Icehawk

I googled 750m benchmarks the other day. I saw Skyrim listed on one at 30+ fps on the default high settings at just under 1440x900.

I don't know how Iris Pro would do, but I doubt it'd be that high. A quick google search found the 750m on some windows laptop (so not an equivalent comparison to how a mbp would perform) hits 30-40 fps on high in WoW. Again, that's default high. I'm sure tinkering could push it higher as there's tends to be settings that eat fps, but I never notice any real difference in how a game looks if it's on or off. I'm sure there are benchmarks out there for Iris Pro in WoW and LoL.

Lowering the resolution will affect things. I haven't played any games on a retina mbp, so I can't say how well OSX will scale or how it affects the performance.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Buy a gaming laptop

Always buy the right tool for the job if gaming is your main priority buy a gaming laptop. The 750M equipped rMBP will be fine but the rest just aren't optimised with gaming in mind.

5. Giev macrumors member

Do not expect a "gaming PC" experience on a MacBook especially for WoW (bad code ...)

Let me me put t=it this way, by 6 year old proper gming PC plays wow much easier in a 25 man raid setup.

For 10 men you are probably fine witha dGPU retina Mac (gaming rig is still much better, even cheap ones.)

6. blooperz macrumors 6502

OSX is terrible for gaming...just install bootcamp and your biggest limiting factor is gone once windows is installed. Use OS X for everything else.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Variant A will have no effect at all on gaming performance apart from making the game open faster.

The basic retina 15" won't perform all that much better since it still has crappy integrated graphics, coupled to the fact that it's pushing even more pixels than your current 13".

If you want any gaming improvement at all, you're looking at the higher end 15" with the 750m, else you're not doing anything but spending money.

8. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Get a refurb rMBP with a 750m. With that said, I doubt you'll hit 70 fps in the games you mention at high settings. My 2012 machine with a 650m gets constantly above 120 fps in TF2 with everything maxed (including 16x AA) at 1050p. However, it barely runs DayZ: 30 fps at 720p with everything on low/medium. As you can see, it's no slouch but it's not a gaming machine either.

IMHO, for the price of the rMBP, you can get a balls to the walls desktop and a decent laptop to go with it. You'll get a beast for editing and gaming and a smaller device to carry around.

9. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

10. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

No, it won't.
    OP wants graphics on High, the thread you linked states that he's running it on LOW.

If you're playing newer games, or MMOs, you'll need a dGPU. Iris won't cut it at the quality that OP is asking for.