Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I'm wondering if or how you can use your MacBook or MacBook Pro on a HDTV running at the full 1080P resolution.

Joony

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2005
Did you get one of those cheap Westinghouse 1080p LCDs? They seem pretty nice for the cost!

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I have a Sharp Aquos 1080p LCD (46") and it has 2 HDMI inputs, one of which has an analog line-in jack for use with computers. So I bought a DVI to HDMI cable from monoprice.com for video and a standard audio cable from the line-out on the MBP for the audio. Get full 1920x1080 resolution on my TV out of the MBP. Looks great.

flalaw

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
United States
a small portion of left and right sides of my screen are chopped off when i connect to my phillips HDTV (black space). Also, the entire HDTV screen is taken up from top to bottom, but its as if i'm looking at a zoomed in version of my desktop b/c the dock and menu bar are also cut off. any solutions?

i tried all the different resolutions in my display settings but no luck

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
There ought to be an "Overscan" checkbox when you've hooked up to an HDTV. I say "ought" because sometimes there isn't. I haven't figured out whether or not there's any rhyme or reason to this.

Joony

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2005
flalaw, which model do you have?

I just hooked up my MBP on a friend's Sony rear projection HDTV and it was slightly cropped inwards. Unticking the overscan checkbox gave slight black bars.

If you have a Plasma or LCD, try looking for a 1:1 or dot for dot mode aspect ratio mode.

Snejenka

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2007
I have a C2D MBP -- does it matter if I get a DVI-I or DVI-D to HDMI?

I have the PowerBook G4 HD (the last PowerBook G4 made which has better resolution). I am using a DVI to HDMI cable to my Samsung HLS6187W. I don't have the Overscan on, but 1920 x 1080 the dock and menu bar are off the screen.... it's too annoying so I set it to 1600 x 900... until I find a solution..... been searching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.