MacBook Pro and I: Separated for Almost a Week

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thebassoonist, Sep 14, 2010.

1. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Story!

The superdrive on my late 2007 MBP stopped burning DVDs, so I took it in today to get that repaired. Because the warranty is up in 40 days, the Genius recommended that I have the full diagnostics done and anything that is having any problems replaced. It sounded like a good idea. But now we are going to be separated until Monday at the latest.

My question is, what do you guys do when your computer is under repair? I decided to have the superdrive fixed this week because I would have access to a computer while I'm visiting family, so I wouldn't NEED my MBP. I also don't have any statistics to run (I'm a grad student). So I think this will work out. But any other week, and I would be screwed. So do you have an extra computer with all your stuff on it? Do you buy a new one and return it when you pick up your computer?

Just curious. :)

2. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

My MBP was at the Apple Authorised Service Provider for at least 40 days, just got it back, infact.
    I was quite moody, upset during that time, although using the Windows box at home, helped a bit. It does affect your ability to work on the go though, not having your preferred portable around.

Hope you get your MBP back soon, and it doesn't turn into a Replacement marathon as it did with mine!

3. jhjerlin macrumors newbie

I have the same generation MacBook Pro and have had the superdrive fixed for the exact same reason! Though this was in 2008 just before the warranty expired. I'm angry with myself for not getting applecare as the superdrive doesn't function at all any more. (It did initially work after the service in 2008 though! :))

Anyway, what I have done when handing in my Mac for service is use CarbonCopyCloner to create a copy of my hard drive on an external hard drive. Then I borrow my GF's MacBook whenever she's not using it and boot up from the external drive. That way I have my own desktop and all of my own documents to work with. If I do minor changes to things I copy the changed files back to my serviced MacBook pro. If I do anything major I just use CarbonCopyCloner to clone the external drive back to the internal one.

well, that's what I do and it works for me. :)