macbook pro and install disk won`t boot but windows 7 will

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by charleswalther1, Sep 24, 2012.

1. charleswalther1 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    So I have a 13 inch macbook pro from 2010 operating Mac OSX. My Girlfriend managed to drop it once or twice about a year ago, but it had been working just fine until a couple of months ago.

I started getting Kernel Panics (that screen that says I should restart the computer), and I followed the instructions on how to fix them. Eventually, because I kept getting the kernel panics, I just reinstalled the entire mac OS software, which worked well enough for a couple of months.

I started getting Kernel panics again recently, and they became more and more frequent until eventually, when I tried to restart my computer, it would take ages to boot into mac and then I couldn`t type anything when I wanted to log on (I was stuck on the log in screen). I wanted to try and fix it with the CD again, but I had the same problem with the CD as I had when trying to boot mac OS (Took a very long time and then reached language preferences but couldn`t type anything or select anything)

Oddly enough, it works like a dream when I boot with windows 7 using bootcamp (I`m using that right now). I`m pretty sure it`s a hardware problem, as I said, I had just reinstalled the mac OS software. It`s not the hard disk because until right before the mac os gave up the ghost, I had done a disk utility check and everything seemed OK. I read on another thread that it could be the logic board failing? Is that expensive to replace?

Any useful ideas or comments would be great!

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Just so I understand correctly - it's booting from the CD and presenting the language selection, but you cannot select anything? Are you able to access Disk Utility from the menu bar when starting up from the optical drive?

I would try again, if you have not already.

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Is your bootcamp partition on the same hard drive as your OS X partition?

If windows is working, then I'd say it is NOT a hardware issue.

4. charleswalther1 thread starter macrumors newbie

You understood correctly. It`s like it`s frozen or something...the mouse moves around but when i try to click something nothing happens. And the keyboard also does not seem to be recognized. I am not able to access Disk Utility either.

----------

Ah...and critically, I got the kernel panic`s whenever I lifted or moved the laptop a little too quickly. Sorry for not mentioning this earlier...

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Is there any way you can wipe the drive? Do you have an enclosure?

Perhaps if you wipe it via Disk Utility and reformat it correctly then it will recognize booting from the CD and allow you to navigate through the process.