MacBook Pro and iPad?

4ppleg1rl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Hey,

So I gave my 2013 MacBook Air to my sister to use for uni as I wasn’t using it that much since I graduated from uni.

I bought myself an iPad Pro as a replacement laptop but there are a few things that are just annoying about it.

I blog about books, I review them & post my thoughts a lot when i receive review copies etc. But I can’t for the life of me find a decent app to use to type them up. I only use Blogger & haven’t upgraded to anything more professional, it’s purely just a hobby. But formatting the review on the iPad is so annoying, it’s literally impossible. A laptop would be so much easier.

But like I said before, I didn’t really use my laptop that much after I graduated & not sure if I’d make enough use of it now? But we don’t have any other computer in the house.

I can work from home but I don’t think the software we use is compatible on MacOS and I don’t think they’d let me use my own laptop and set it up instead of using company laptop. But I’m not sure..

What do you guys use your laptops for if you’re not studying/using it for work? And is it worth having a MacBook AND an iPad?

Fthree

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
iPad works for me well for work. I do not use any professional writing tools though. The iPad is more of a luxury than a necessity if I could only choose one for everything (work, school, media) id use my 13 inch MacBook pro all the time however having the iPad as well i can take it and leave the MacBook at home.

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
Hey,

So I gave my 2013 MacBook Air to my sister to use for uni as I wasn’t using it that much since I graduated from uni.

I bought myself an iPad Pro as a replacement laptop but there are a few things that are just annoying about it.

I blog about books, I review them & post my thoughts a lot when i receive review copies etc. But I can’t for the life of me find a decent app to use to type them up. I only use Blogger & haven’t upgraded to anything more professional, it’s purely just a hobby. But formatting the review on the iPad is so annoying, it’s literally impossible. A laptop would be so much easier.

But like I said before, I didn’t really use my laptop that much after I graduated & not sure if I’d make enough use of it now? But we don’t have any other computer in the house.

I can work from home but I don’t think the software we use is compatible on MacOS and I don’t think they’d let me use my own laptop and set it up instead of using company laptop. But I’m not sure..

What do you guys use your laptops for if you’re not studying/using it for work? And is it worth having a MacBook AND an iPad?
It’s a very individualized thing. I have both an iPad and Mac Book Pro. I use the Mac for torrents, running a windows program I need to use for work, writing, and to share my video content with my Apple TV and other devices. Also use it to transfer and work with particular files. Obviously web browsing, watching movies, Twitter, YouTube etc, but I also do those things on the iPad.

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
I'd say that for most people whose computing needs are modest, you're better off with a MacBook Air (can get one from the previous generation to save money or the current one for the far superior screen) than an iPad. It's worth having a regular machine that can run a non-mobile browser because there are still many sites where the mobile version of the site just won't work, and iPads have no way around the issues. Since you have a hobby where typing and editing is important, a MacBook Air will serve you well.

If you really do enjoy the tablet functionalities, look into getting a 2-in-1 like Surface Go (provided you want to save money and can deal with not being part of Apple's ecosystem). It won't be nearly as good as an iPad as a tablet, unfortunately, but it will save you from having two devices.

Or just go ahead and buy a MacBook Air to go with your iPad if you can afford it. Whether it's "worth it" depends a lot on your use cases. I love having a laptop to do things that require typing and mousing (spreadsheets, wordprocessing, making presentations, programming, writing fiction), and a tablet for things that require writing with a stylus and a beautiful screen up close (marking up PDFs, reading, games, binge-watching videos).