Macbook Pro and iPhone e-mail

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewfx, Nov 24, 2012.

1. andrewfx macrumors newbie

Hi, sorry this probably seems like a stupid question but it's really irritating me so I want to see if there's a way to fix it?

I only just got my first MacBook yesterday, and I love the mail app on it, how easy it is to set up mail etc. So I use my hotmail as my main personal email address, but when I read an email on my MBP, it still shows as unread on my iPhone, and vice versa. Also when I delete an email on my MBP it still shows up in my iPhones mail box, is there a way to fix this so each device can recognise that I have actually read my emails?

Thanks in advance!

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Its because its a 2 different email box.
    Im pretty sure you cant do that.

For instance, Yahoo and Gmails act the same.
    If you view it on the iPhone or delete it, it still shows up on your Yahoo/Gmail account.

3. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Not right now. :(

The problem is that the only protocol that both Hotmail and the Mac Mail.app support right now is POP3. This is a mail 'fetching' protocol and doesn't support any sort of syncing with the server.

If Hotmail supported IMAP, or even desktop Exchange, it'd be fine. If Mail.app picks up EAS support, it'd be fine. EAS was originally meant for devices like phones, but Windows 8's Mail app, and Outlook 2013 both support EAS. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see EAS support in 10.9.

For now though, you are kinda stuck if you use Hotmail/Outlook.com. There are a couple apps that are supposed to act like an IMAP translator for Hotmail, but I've never gotten them to work quite right.