MacBook Pro and iPhones not tethering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rcmii, May 12, 2016.

1. rcmii macrumors newbie

After a sync of my iPhone 6S, I can no longer tether to my MacBook. While this is a brand new 6S, I was having the same problem with my iPhone 6.

I can attempt to Pair, and the codes match and I click "Pair" on my iPhone, but after a quick note of "Connected" it reverts to "not connected."

I have removed the 6S from the Devices and started from scratch and also removed my Macbook device selection from my iPhone Bluetooth "My Devices" tab. Then did it all over again. No dice.

Any suggestions? I've had an iPhone (several models) for 8 years but this is my first 12 months with a Macbook. So it might be a simple solution that I'm unaware of.

Now, to be fair, my iMessages sync with my iPhone and Macbook but I cannot tether in the bluetooth section. Maybe I don't need to but I thought I had always had those attached when in range.

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.

Richard

2. andrew20 macrumors newbie

andrew20

Hey its me again.

First off, why do you want to internet tether over Bluetooth? I don't recommend it at all. Reason being, the speed of Bluetooth compared to the speed of your LTE cellular connection is like comparing to dial-up and cable/DSL. The maximum bandwidth you can reach over Bluetooth is at best maybe 1 megabit/sec. I average 40 Mbits up AND down over LTE (T-Mobile). Tether via WiFi (or even better, directly through USB) and you'll have a much better experience.

I can't get my iPhone 6S Plus to pair with my MacBook Pro either (just tried it). If I maybe rebooted my computer and iPhone and tried again it would probably work. Give that a try if you haven't already if you still want to use Bluetooth.

Anyway enjoy your new iPhone! And please, tether over WiFi at least (hehe).

Take care,
    -Andrew

3. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I agree with @andrew20, only use Bluetooth as a last resort in this case

4. rcmii thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the feedback. As I mentioned, I am very new to the MacBook world. I had simply assumed (yeah, I know what happens when you assume!) that they were always tethered and that's how the handoff occurred, allowing the iMessages, FaceTime, etc., to occur.

Still learning. Rather than waste your time with questions like this, if you do recommend any quick books or sites to learn more about the Mac in greater detail, I'm always open to learning more BEFORE spinning wheels (although inadvertently) via message boards!

Thanks again .... greatly appreciated (You commented on my iPhone "audio" issue the other day. I hope you saw my reply that the end result was that I had a failed Receiver and Speaker...and no more warranty. Thus the new 6S).

Richard