macbook pro and its battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spiceitup, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Spiceitup macrumors newbie

So, since i dropped by macbook accidentally a month ago, the macbook would only charge when I put a medium amount of pressure above the mag safe by the keyboard on the mac. I took it in to the apple store, and because my apple care had just ran out, it would cost around £500 to replace the logic board which is supposedly causing the problem.

Being a student I can't really afford that cost, but I need the laptop for all my college work. So here is my question, in theory is it possible to buy a new battery for my macbook pro 13'' late 2011 (a1322 model battery I think) then charge that as it comes, externally, with a power lead into the wall, then just swap out the low battery for the fully charged one and just keep cycling them?

I hope this is making sense, I just feel awful since I got it back from the store and it's worse than when I took it in. I know I didn't pay for the repair service but surely sucks to not charge at all with the magsafe now when before I could at least put some books on top to add weight on the charger so it would work.

Thank you

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The MagSafe on that model is a separate part tho you could have damaged the logic board it's worth following the ifixit tear down to see if the logic board is damaged. Sounds to me like you've either broken the port or its connector. Both can be fixed easily.

Ps where in the uk are you based?

3. leman macrumors 604

It is possible (in theory), but would require some sort of custom charging device that would definitively be more expensive than a new logic board. Not to mentioning that cycling charged batteries everyday is a short-circuit waiting to happen.

From your problem description, it would appear that there is some defective contact around the magsafe area. I think you should look into some possibilities to fixing it. Maybe get a friend that has a background with tinkering look at it. It might be possible to use some tape etc.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bring it to apple, at the very least you'll have an idea of it will cost. Any advice here is helpful but has a level of conjecture. Only when someone opens the computer up and sees what part to replace will you know what the cost will be.

5. leman macrumors 604

Maybe you should read OP's post again ;)

6. Spiceitup thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, I think I may seek some help from a sort of apple hardware repair place my friend has referred me to.

----------

I'm based in Birmingham. How about you?

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

London. Same I could have looked it over for you.