MacBook Pro and Logic Pro 9 playback problems.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mashiach, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Mashiach macrumors regular

Mashiach

Now before anyone says this should be filed under software, I think this problem is actually a hardware issue rather than software. I could be wrong though.

Basically I use Logic Pro 9 to produce my music with. I am doing this on a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz i7, 8Gb RAM.

If I am using my external sound card the playback from Logic is perfect, no crashes at all.

This is the same if I plug headphones directly into the Mac. No problems.

As soon as I start to use the built in speakers how ever, the Mac freaks out after about 20 seconds of Logic playback and gives me the ever ominous
    "Disk is too slow or System Overload. (-10010)" error.

I have taken the MBP into a Mac store and they tightened a few screws up inside to make sure the vibrations from the speakers weren't causing the hard drive to crash. We also went through some of the sound card driver selections to make sure there wasn't a problem there. (Selecting built-in output does alleviate the problem slightly but not by much)

But still the problem exists. After so many seconds playback, maximum usually being 20-30 seconds, Logic crashes reliably as ever.

Anyone have an idea what the problem may be?

Answers on a post card.

Much love.

2. andrezuppe macrumors member

Hi... It's a very strange problem....
    Have you tried pulling down speakers volume and see what happens?

Maybe, to see if it is a sw issue, you could try to boot your mac from a usb disk with a clean install of OSX and install Logic Pro over it and see if the problem still occurs... if it disappears, it shouldn't be an HW issue but simply something ********* up on your O.S. ;)

I hope for you it's only a sw probelm!! :)

Bye!

Andrea

3. Mashiach thread starter macrumors regular

Mashiach

So I have just played back with the speakers turned down to 2 from mute and it played back no problem.

I then turned it back up to full blast and there it crashed again.

That may just be a coincidence. I am going to see if I can replicate this result every time.

4. andrezuppe macrumors member

HMMMM...
    Sounds like something related to speakers.. or to vibration that make crash something...
    My father had a similar problem on a Windows Acer Notebook some years ago - noises, crackles, strange digital distorted sounds like music going in loop and than blue screen ( we formatted the pc a lot of times but we never solved it - Acer changed two times the HD but refused to change the motherboard). If he played audio with very low volume on speakers, or external speakers plugged in phones connector the pc had no issues....

Yes retry, but, if you can try also booting form an usb disk with OSX and Logic, do it: so any speaker vibration will not able to affect the internal hard disk and you could arrive easier to a conclusion..

Bye,

Andrea

5. Matt412sky macrumors newbie

Hello, I know this is a couple of months ago now but I just wondered if you solved this issue? I'm having the exact same issue, upgraded my Powermac to new Imac this week and this is so frustrating.
    Cheers

6. Mashiach thread starter macrumors regular

Mashiach

I have only been able to minimise the problem and not completely remove it.
    I have found by not playing back at full volume through the mbp speakers and also making sure I have the in built output selected as the audio driver. Sometimes Logic defaults to my BCD3000 as the audio output as I use that in my studio.