MacBook Pro and Macbook Air have electricity short?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aaps59, Dec 28, 2010.

1. aaps59 macrumors regular

aaps59

I've experienced this many times with my device and when I visit my local Apple Retail store. When I glide my palm or some part of my hand over the palm rest it I feel a tingling in my hand and I know from prior knowledge this usually occurs when there is a electricity fault, leak or shortage. Im sure it isn't just the texture of the metal. Im just wondering if any of you guys have experienced this as well.

2. jdsmith1012 macrumors newbie

I haven't experienced this on my 2008 or my 2010 macbooks.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

Not everybody get this hyper-sensitivity, a very few people get this feeling and it is usually applicable to every electronic device. Are the laptops the only device where you feel this? Are you wearing jeans or anything that attracts static electricity?

4. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

My favourite shocking experience with my macbook pro is the regular shock I get when I first touch it. Just like you get when you touch a door knob.

5. MikhailT macrumors 601

I get it every time I turn on my PS3.

6. lythium macrumors member

try some different shoes. its probably static electricity from you.

7. attsuei macrumors newbie

I have the same issue with my MBA,it feels more than hair on hand to a degree the tingle makes me really uncomfortable, but it only happens when pluged in.

8. attsuei macrumors newbie

I'm traveling in China right now and I took the MBA to a authorized Apple repair center in Shanghai, the tech there agree with me that he can feel the tingle, but he said this happens to all laptop with metal case. doesn't amke sense.

9. espoir macrumors member

Actually, there were lots of reports from aluminum macbook pro users that they get small electric shocks and sensations while touching their's notebook surfaces. Both connected and on battery... I wonder if 2011 models have this issue...

10. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

11. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

yeah it actually happens on the Titanium Powerbook also.
    Not a big deal.

12. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

All metal cased apple laptops have done that, something to do with grounding. I believe if using a grounded power adaptor, they don't do it.

Which means using the lead adaptor, not the direct plug one.

13. Michael543 macrumors newbie

electrical current in MacBook screws in case

The ground in my home/office is tested, correct and complete. I'm using a grounding/earthing mat for health benefits which is connected to the house's ground. Whenever I'm bare feet on this mat the screws in the MacBook case give me continuous tingeing of electrical current (continuos not a short discharge) -- it means there is 'leak' in the MacBook obviously it's not life threatening and I can avoid touching the screws or using the grounding-mat, but what concerns me -- it shows that there is a leak that may damage the computer -- is it so?
    When I disconnect the computer from the AC outlet and use just the battery the tingling stop. Is it a problem? what can be done? does Apple takes care of such issue?
    Thanks much
    Michael543