Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pavia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
Hi!

I have a sort of strange question, I suppose, about the MacBook Pro and Mini DisplayPort.
First of, the only reason I am considering to buy a 17-inch MacBook Pro is to be able to watch HDTV and HD Movies, I realized that with the "HDMI output using Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (optional)", it could be possible to just use my current 23" 1080p LCD flatpanel.

My curious question is this:

Can a MacBook Pro 15" use a Mini DisplayPort to output 1080p? (Or can it only go to the maximum 1440*900/1650*1050?)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Hi!

I have a sort of strange question, I suppose, about the MacBook Pro and Mini DisplayPort.
First of, the only reason I am considering to buy a 17-inch MacBook Pro is to be able to watch HDTV and HD Movies, I realized that with the "HDMI output using Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (optional)", it could be possible to just use my current 23" 1080p LCD flatpanel.

My curious question is this:

Can a MacBook Pro 15" use a Mini DisplayPort to output 1080p? (Or can it only go to the maximum 1440*900/1650*1050?)

The supported external resolutions have nothing to do with the resolution of the internal screen. Apple list supported external resolutions on the technical specs page: I suggest you go read it.

Pavia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
The supported external resolutions have nothing to do with the resolution of the internal screen. Apple list supported external resolutions on the technical specs page: I suggest you go read it.

Thank you. I have a sort of off-topic question.
What kind of programs do I use for watching TV on a mac, using one of those USB tuners? (I have never owned a mac, and I haven't ordered it yet)

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Thank you. I have a sort of off-topic question.
What kind of programs do I use for watching TV on a mac, using one of those USB tuners? (I have never owned a mac, and I haven't ordered it yet)

The usb tuners come with their own software. You don't need anything other than what gets shipped with the tuner.

Pavia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
The usb tuners come with their own software. You don't need anything other than what gets shipped with the tuner.

Oh man these awesome replies so fast is win. Thank you!
Is there any programs apart from iTunes that can play music, queue music, store a library of music on that computer? (No, I don't like iTunes:eek:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.