MacBook Pro and monitor problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackdag, Jun 7, 2013.

1. jackdag macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Looking for a little help. I use a 24" Dell monitor with my Macbook pro. I mainly use it for work as I work from home and I was getting a little tired of staring at a 13" screen all day. Playing Football Manager and Minecraft on a larger screen was another reason...

Anyway, I find I get a lot of slowdown when using the monitor. When I'm working, I find navigating web pages can be glitchy, and even typing search terms into google can lag.

When playing games, it's unbearably slow. If Football Manager is running; it takes ages to scroll through a web page, and Minecraft is unplayable. I tend to play both without the monitor now, as it's just too slow.

This only happens when the monitor is plugged in. I was hoping a Late 2011 Mabook pro, with 4GB of Ram and the OS running on a 128GB SSD would be able to handle an external monitor, but it doesn't look like it can. Any tips or advice? I'm thinking of doubling, maybe even tripling the RAM.

About my Mac:
    Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
    Serial Number C02GFC5FDRJ7
    Software OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)

Display
    DELL U2412M Display
    1920 x 1200
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB graphics

2. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

if you have a friend who owns a DDR3 RAM, just borrow from him and try it if it improves the performance :rolleyes:

3. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

I suspect your issue is with the crappy, low-mem graphics driving a high-res display. Try lowering the resolution and see if performance improves. It'll look like crap, but at least you'll know if it's due to the higher resolution or something else.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008