Macbook Pro and OSX Snow leopard issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sup3r1or, Jun 25, 2010.

1. sup3r1or macrumors regular

Greetings to everyone,

This is my first post, I have just joined and I hope for your help in this wonderful community.

After hearing hype about macs for countless years, I finally decided to jump on a mac band-wagon. Since Im a student and limited on the budget I purchased Macbook pro 13 2010 model.

My enjoyment is slowly turning into frustration, these are the issues Iam experiencing:

1. Tap to click on multitouch trackpad occasionally does not work.

2. I had my system froze upon quitting from safari, my dock and top panel were gone and there was nothing I could do.

3. Also get occasional system hiccups while typing in word or quitting applications, that last up to 5 seconds or more.

4. Upon updating to 10.6.4 I noticed a very big dive in performance, system loads much longer and overall system works slower than on 10.6.3

5. when I boot the system up rarely my top panel with apple icon is missing, I have to manually start any application for it to appear again.

Is this normal or something is wrong with my system? can anyone give me some advice please.

Thank you so much.

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

No, that is certainly not normal. You could try downloading the combo Updater for 10.6.4 from the Apple Support page and reinstall 10.6.4 (your data and information will not be erased). Ater that, run the Software Update in the System Preferences, and then do a Repair disk permissions from Disk Utility. Booting up from the OS DVD disk and using Disk Utility to repair the HD is also a good idea when you are having weird issues.
    The occasional system stalls while typing in word or quitting applications, that last up to 5 seconds or more, may be due to a bad system install, or another reason. What HD does your system have? Look in the System Profiler, Apple Menu, About this Mac, More info, in the Serial ATA hardware section. It should show the name of the HD maker. Seagate, Hitachi, etc. Some users have resolved similar issues by swapping HDs, to another manufacturer's product.
    There are many long threads on this issue, and nothing conclusive about the cause. But again, your problems may be different too. Try the regular maintenance procedures above first.

3. sup3r1or thread starter macrumors regular

I have reinstalled update as you have said. So far didnt notice anything with trackpad, however my top apple bar was gone upon boot into system again.

Im thinking of getting a fresh Snow Leopard install with all updates.

P.S Im also using this program called CLEANMYMAC is there any chance it can clean up something that may cause this crap?

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Just perform a full reformat and install. If it's new there's no need to use any cleaning tools at this point. Make sure and use Disk Utility to do a full erase and reformat. You may have just had a bad image on the drive.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, CLEANMYMAC can cause a couple issues, some find it works great on one of their machines and causes problems on another.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Have you installed software you didn't buy?
    How many pieces of software have you installed?

Clean install system.
    Do not install anything you did not buy (um, burned disks don't count as bought)
    Try the computer for awhile
    Install things one at a time, use the system for awhile, repeat

7. sup3r1or thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I did not do full system install yet but will try it soon. BTW how do you boot from a DVD of leopard?

Trackpad tapping issue is back.

In regards to software, well I have mostly freeware, like Chrome, Skype, Audium. From those I didnt buy is MS OFFICE (I need it for work), latest and also stuffit.

8. Reapur macrumors regular

With the OSX install DVD in the drive, restart the computer. Right after you hit the power button hold down the Option key you will get a little boot up menu where you can select the DVD as the boot device. It will then launch OSX setup. Once in you should use disk utility to erase the drive. Then installing is easy.