MacBook Pro and OWC Data Doubler

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hulugu, Feb 10, 2014.

1. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Has anyone installed the Data Doubler kit from OWC in a MacBook Pro?

Curious to hear results and experience and if anyone installed one of the hard drive and SSD kits.

2. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

I have not used one before however, I wanted to point out (If money is an issue) that you can get a cheap copy of one on eBay or amazon for about $10. I used it for a SSD/HDD combo in my MBP and it works perfectly.

3. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

MacBook Pro and OWC Data Doubler

I have mine running my original HDD in the optibay, with Crucial M500 in the HDD slot. Have a mid-2012 i5 MBP, that was giving problems with the SSD in the optibay. Swapped them around - all golden.

Data-doubler is very solidly manufactured. Included a good quality screw-set with plastic "lifters", which was a very useful touch. Can really recommend it - although, to be fair - since I haven't tried any of the cheap generics, maybe they might work as well...

4. hulugu thread starter macrumors 68000

hulugu

Did you see an increase in performance from the SSD?

5. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Like I couldn't believe. One reads about the difference a SSD makes from other users on forums like these - but until you get to experience it yourself - you don't really get what it entails... Recommended without a shadow of doubt.

6. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

I installed mine a few weeks ago. It was easy, and the kit is of very good quality. i bought the kit with a OWC 120GB SSD (3G), as they (OWC) don´t recommend SSD 6G in my 2011 MBP.
    The new SSD is used for Parallels (Windows 7), and it´s fast, very fast.