MacBook Pro and Parallels Desktop Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fcpeditor113, Sep 5, 2010.

1. fcpeditor113 macrumors newbie

fcpeditor113

I was wondering if I buy parallels and use a Windows Operating system on my MacBook Pro if there is any necessary software (ex. Anti-virus) that I will need to install and also if I do install this will I be able to play PC games as long as my MBP is capable of running it smoothly?

Thanks for any advice or help you can give, I'm new to the idea of actually using parallels.

2. circularforward macrumors 6502

Parallels comes with Kaspersky Internet Security. You can use it or the free MS Security Essentials.

As for running PC games, it's much better to run them off bootcamp. Yes, you'll be able to run some games, but performance in a virtual machine is not good.

If you are going to buy Parallels, the new 6.0 is just about to come out.

3. fcpeditor113 thread starter macrumors newbie

fcpeditor113

So it would just be better to buy bootcamp and use a OS with it instead of Parallels for games?
    I'm trying to find out the best option for games at the moment.

4. Cruleworld macrumors newbie

Cruleworld

bootcamp comes on your mac, so it is free.

Here is what you should do, install windows in bootcamp. Then go get Parallels and use it and use the bootcamp partition as a virtual machine as well. Then you can use it both ways.

Parallels: for applications

Bootcamp: for games

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes, that sounds the best option. simply install bootcamp (DO NOT REGISTER WINDOWS), then "add" the bootcamp partition to parallels VM. then you can register the computers, and you should have no problems booting onto both of them :)

6. fcpeditor113 thread starter macrumors newbie

fcpeditor113

Ah, I see what you're saying. Basically I will just be using parallels for regular PC based applications, and boot camp for any gaming I have to do with Windows while using both as a virtual machine. Okay that definitely helps me out in making a decision.

Thanks for all the advice and assistance.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you got it! that is the process :) goodluck with it

also, there is Parallels Desktop, and VMWare Fusion (3) - both have their negatives and positives for performance, usability, stability, RAM utilisation etc. research it yourself, as people are very opinionated.

personally i prefer Parallels 5, but that's just me.

8. fcpeditor113 thread starter macrumors newbie

fcpeditor113

I will probably use Parallels 5 since it may be simpler to use after looking up some stuff about it. Also out of sheer curiosity will a Windows Vista Ultimate OEM DVD work just as good as having to spend the money on having to buy a Windows 7 box dvd?

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i enjoy Parallels, its nice :)

if you are happy with Vista then go for it! otherwise then use Win7. no harm done.

10. fcpeditor113 thread starter macrumors newbie

fcpeditor113

I am use to Win 7 and Vista, whichever is cheaper is what I am looking for :D
    Thanks for the advice, I am definitely using parallels