Macbook Pro and Parallels...Slowness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JasonR, Apr 23, 2009.

1. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I have a 2008 Mid July Macbook Pro, 2.5 Ghz 2 GB ram 7200 RPM hard drive etc. I'm running Windows XP in Paralells (purely for Quickbooks). I have about 768mb of ram allocated to XP, and the ONLY thing I'm running is Quickbooks. Quickbooks runs slow and slows down OS X slightly. Is this normal?

I've got 4 GB of Ram on the way to me but I'd like to if there's a way to make Quickbooks/Windows XP run better...

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

768MB isn't a whole lot, so yes, it sounds normal.

When you get your 4GB, give 1.5 to Parallels.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

this happened on a friend of mines iMac. he just reinstalled it and it worked better. dont know if that will help you but it's worth a shot. like i said it worked for him so who knows.

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

missed the part about 768mb of ram to xp. i agree do like 1.5GB.

just accord to me that's probably what he changed when he re-installed it.:eek:

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You don't need to reinstall to change it, at least is Fusion, I imagine that Parallels has the same functionality.

6. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I've got both Demos of Parallels and Fusion. Fusion runs even slower. I can change how much ram is allocated without reinstalling in both programs. I'll allocate 1.5 Gb ram when I it comes in the mail. Are there any other settings I should look at?

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

haha yea i know but he took my suggestion of re-installing it and in the process of doing so he found the option and changed it.

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Ive got a penrynMBP classic, 2.4, i have 4 gb ram, parallels runs fine, no slow down, i use mine for excel and so i can use the blackberry desktop manager. I have paralles 4 though, works much better than 3

9. jtus macrumors member

I am running Parallels with 4 gigs of ram and have set Parallels to use 2 gigs an have no slow down at all I also am running quickbooks, auto cad, and corel draw 13. All works fine.

10. iris4@mac.com macrumors newbie

I had Parallels running with 2gb assigned on my MBP late 2008 but wow was everything slow. Why don't you install Windows on Bootcamp that's how I run all my windows apps. and they fly.

11. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

b/c it sucks to restart, esp if your just going to use the app for like 20 min

12. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I have Parallels 4. I can't stand to use Windows, and it just happens that the most widespread small business accounting software has a crappy OS X version. Hence running the windows version.

I don't like Boot Camp, I run everything else in OS X and much prefer it to Windows XP.