Macbook Pro and PDF downloads

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cathcathcath, Feb 26, 2011.

1. cathcathcath macrumors newbie

Hi all,

New to Mac and need a pointer, just going to explain exactly what I'm doing and where it's going wrong and hopefully someone out there will be able to help!

I'm studying and read a lot of journals online and generally download the full PDF of the article (when my institution has a subscription and I'm logged in). I find a journal article online and click on 'PDF full version'... on my pc this used to just then give me the article PDF then I could go to file, save as, and voila - the pdf was mine and no need to be connected to the internet to read it.

With my Mac, when I open a 'PDF full version' - the webpage of the article opens but the only option is 'save page as'... which is not the same as saving the PDF doc and so when I go back to the file where I saved it, I can't access it unless I'm online / it decides not to mess up and ask for my university access password again etc. etc.

I don't know if I'm explaining this very well, but maybe someone out there knows what I'm on about....

Basically - how do I successfully download and save a PDF file from the internet on this thing?

I'm probably as confused by this as you are by this forum post.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. dwhynman macrumors regular

OK I do a lot of journal searches as well. After you pull up the PDF move your mouse to the bottom of the web page. You will see a download icon appear. After you click that icon the PDF will download to your downloads folder.

3. cathcathcath thread starter macrumors newbie

dwhynman... thanks so much - unfortunately that doesn't seem to do the trick, all I get when I do that is the box to resize the article / zoom in..

any other thoughts?!

4. simsaladimbamba

5. cathcathcath thread starter macrumors newbie

nope, get everything else but the option I want when I do that (open link in new tab / save link / search on google / tweet)...

6. cathcathcath thread starter macrumors newbie

7. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

Yes. Everyone was giving you tips for Safari.

If the PDF is already being displayed, click the Wrench icon in the toolbar, then click Save Page As...
    If the PDF is not already being displayed, right-click (or Ctrl-Click) on the PDF link, then Download Linked File As...

Words may not be exact, since I don't use Chrome on OS X, but that is how it'd be done.

8. cathcathcath thread starter macrumors newbie

Still not it, still getting the save page option when I do that, rather than the option to actually save it as a PDF...

I may try it in Safari instead. How annoying, clearly me being dumb.

Thanks for the help!