Macbook Pro and scmFanControl

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ccashman92, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Alright, so I don't know if this should go in the App section or this section. Either way I'm getting more hits here.

Since Macbook Pros tend to run hot I decided to get smcFanControl incase I wanted to trun my fans on high so I could cool it down quick. My question is, does smcFanControl override the Macbooks automatic adjusting of the speed of the fan when it starts to over heat? Like if I leave it on my bed on default it tends to hit almost 60C... So it'll automatically kick to 2500RPMs. Does this still do that or do I have to manually do it?

2. celticpride678

You set the minimum fan speed and it'll automatically adjust from there. However, it will never go lower than what you set.

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I've heard different stories, but for me it overrides everything and stays at my set speed no matter what my cpu temp gets to.

4. jiminy macrumors newbie

in SMCfancontrol, your fans will stay where you set it. Say you set the fans at 3k rpm and the temps are pretty cool, the fans will still run at 3k.
    Im not entirely sure if the fans speed up, if say your temps go above 80 degrees C (or some other high temp).

I have mine set at 5k before I boot into bootcamp for some gaming. When I restart, the temps are pretty high and the fans are spinning faster than when I set it. But when the temps cool down enough, the fans go back to however much I set it at.