MacBook Pro and software

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eenye, Jul 24, 2013.

1. eenye macrumors newbie

I don't know who else to talk to about this but i have upgraded recently in April to mac osx 4 10.4 (macbook Pro) and so many of the great things have been changed - like finder - can't do a "save as" without duplicating and going through two steps more than necessary, greatly reducing efficiency if working with a lot of photos etc on a daily basis.

So many of my programs don't work on the mac, ones I relied on for my work. I have to spend thousands because they have decided to not support all the things that meant anything to me (a production budgeting program I bought from the states works on my old computer, doesn't work on this one, a script writing program, a graphics program, a film editing program which cost me $4k on my other computer doesn't work on this one!) I am literally devoid of my tools and are forced to either spend thousands which I don't have, or go back to my old computer which is slower and doesn't have enough memory.

Also ical - what designer would change to that new format? Can't see the TIMES without glasses as they are pale gray - I try overriding the times and put them in text at the from of my event, but it detects the times then deletes them from the event! - colours are pale and sappy so there is little distinction when you sit back in chair - you have to lean forward to screen - the brighter colours and easier more basic functions of the previous version are so much more efficient to glance at quickly and then arrange day. Can't glance at this quickly, have to peer and read which takes up so much time - NOT A TRUE CALENDAR

So many other frustrating things, am very disappointed, I will be going PC on my next upgrade I lost too much work, time and efficiency with this.
    :(

2. samiwas macrumors 65816

Wait...you upgraded to 10.4?? 10.4 is eight years old. What were you using before that all your programs worked on?

The whole "Duplicate" vs. "Save As" showed up in 10.7 in 2011 (6 years after 10.4). I will agree that the Duplicate thing is ridiculous stupidity.

Are you sure you have all your facts straight? This is very strange.

3. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

This sounds like your fault for not keeping up with technology. You can't expect to not upgrade for 8 years then suddenly make changes and expect everything to work perfectly. And - $4,000 for video editing software? What software would that be? All of the common pro-level software is in the $1,000 range (Avid, Adobe, FCP7, Vegas). And FCPX is only $300.

If I'm reading this right, did you go from a PC to a Mac and expect the Mac to run all of your PC software? And you blame Mac for not running it? Even though you bought an 8 year old operating system and I'm guessing a used Macbook? Something doesn't make sense here.

4. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

What the others have said, and...

There's no guarantee that your old software will work with Windows 7/8/9, either.